Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A 600$ Paper Weight ( Long Rant)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highlander, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Right now I'm so PISSED OFF /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif So please forgive me if I step on anyones feet.
    As some of you mite know I've had to replace the T-case and then it was the Tranny then the rearend went south (I knew it was) So I put a 205 in had the tranny rebuilt and then I found a Deal on a rear dana 60 with about 1000 miles since the rebuild it had the 4.56 gears that I needed so I got it 500$ Plus the ride so in the mean time I got the other parts to make it work Last Saturday I got it in it was lined up great the Brakes came around ( Disk) then it snowed here in Denver I didn't get a full tank of Gas out of it yet a friend called me today and said her Mom was stuck and could I come over and pull her out I said sure I head over and the AAA was already there so I came back home just about Kipling the truck started making a weird noise I just made the off ramp before the rear locked up hard it slid sideways in the road the drive shaft was hanging down with the Yoke still on it I hurried to pull the shaft before I got hit
    I then had to work to get the truck out of the way. After I got it off the road I got a better look at What I think is the cause ( But is subject to change) from what I can see right is the pinon nut came off and the pinon fell in to the ring gear then went out the bottom of the Case.
    I pulled the Axels and got it home here are some off the pic's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said right now it looks like the nut came off Now I don't way it would come off other than a Incompetent person rebuildt the rearend. But I could very well be wrong I never saw anything wrong with the rearend when I had it on the ground it looked great. I didn't have to replace the yoke as I all ready had 1350's on my Shaft and thats what the 60 yoke took.
    So I'm once again looking for a Rearend /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I will most likely stay with the 60 as I now have a lot of parts /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Sorry for this being so long Guys I needed to vent a little

Eric

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Holy Sh!t man. I have never seen anything like that. Id be calling whoever you bought that from.

3. Highlander

I can't Blame him. Am I pissed OMG YES /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif the only thing I can use is the Disk Brakes and the Axles but thats it so far. Oh I will say something but there nothing anyone can do. After I calm down I'll PM him..... And suggest that he Kick whom ever rebuild it in the A$$ for me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

That totally blows goats ass! Sorry to hear that, never heard of such a thing.

5. Highlander

I haven't till now hell even when my 12b went south it never losed the nut and the pinon bearing was toast. The drive shaft was new as were the 1350's I had no bad vibes till it went if I could of gotten stoped faster I mite of saved something.......

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

MAN!! That really sucks!! I have seen this happen before though. I have seen people rebuild these and reuse the nut. They are crushed when new to keep them tight. sometimes when they are reused, they don't stay on. I have also seen this when people Don't use a new nut and Don't use loctite either. best of luck on the next!

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Holy Crap!!! That just sucks in more ways than I can express. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What do you need to find another 60 from in order for it to fit?

8. Highlander

[ QUOTE ]
    What do you need to find another 60 from in order for it to fit?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well thats the easy part Harry a new 60 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Right now as you can see the housing is toast /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and I'm pretty sure so are the ring& pinon. I haven't taken the rear cover yet I will tomorrow.
    And I was Happy with the way it was running damn thing.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Now I'm not sure what else is broke.

9. Highlander

So if that damn nut comes off it will do that eh? Sunday I'll get the cover off and get a better look. But from the outside it looks like the nut came off. the threads on the pinon look good and like I said the yoke is still on the Shaft.

Eric

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But what's the application for the 60? Is it from a Ford? Dodge? Pickup? Van? One that isn't the right width won't help ya much. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Highlander

I was told it came from a 79 ford. The hard part will be finding one with 4.56's it a 30 spline.

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Holy crap! that pinion just went through a good 1/2" of cast iron! holy freaking crap. i thought mine sucked. . . mine hasn't working nearly 3 months, so in a couple weeks, and after $400 into a rearend my truck SHOULD work- with 3.73 gears in the back, and 4.88 up front /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

i guess it's 2wd till i get into some heavy duty mud!

13. Highlander

Mine went down last year on Fathers day and it really hasn't right since.
    And I was trying to slow down and trying put it in Nuteral and woundering what hell was going on /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif all at the sametime and trying to cross two lanes of traffic /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Eric

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    So if that damn nut comes off it will do that eh? Sunday I'll get the cover off and get a better look. But from the outside it looks like the nut came off. the threads on the pinon look good and like I said the yoke is still on the Shaft.

Eric

[/ QUOTE ]
    They used a worn out nut. those nuts are crimped to prevent that and that nut had to be off SEVERAL times to have that happen. It's recomended that nut be replaced if it is ever removed.

15. Highlander

And I would think they would of used a new nut but who knows what went on when they built it.
    I had just grabbed the yoke and moved it side to side to feel the play in it I didn't think to move it in and out and that was last Saturday /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Will it ever end??? I need to paint this thing yellow like a lemond /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Eric

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

14 Bolt FF. If you destroy it like that 60, no biggie, easy to find, and cheap to replace !!!! By the way, I've never seen anything like that befor.

17. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Not sure if this will help, but here's one on ebay item number 2408414259 Says its out of a chevy truck and has 4.56's and is in nevada. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Highlander

Thanks K5DRAGER
    I'll keep that in mind.....

Eric

19. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

WOW BUDDY
    T H A T S U C K S !!!!!!!!!!!
    I seen your post in the wanted post so did the search to find this
    and as Robin ( the boy wonder ) would say holy crap oly Batman that is some seriours carniage i think you should enter that pic in the next carnaige contest for a year free membership
    ill get on the horn frst thing monday morning and see if i can help ya out
    but i do gotta agree with 2 of the outhers
    i agree looks like the nut that built it didnt replace the nut that would have saved this from happening
    and mabe sell your 60 stuff and look into a 14bolt ff as there are a lot more of em around
    R
    p.s. and 2 try to cheer ya up a bit :-)
    hey good thing i hadnt sent that stainless cover yet as probably it would have taken a hit also :-)
    hopefully this week ill get that stuff out to ya as work is finally slowing down thanks for you patience
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Do you got a spare axle laying around to replace your paper weight? If not come on down here and pick up one of my 14ff. It will bolt right up and roll and the best part of the deal it's free. You just gotta make the trip.