Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A-6's suck!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jun 29, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Not the Intruder, don't say it, blasphemy! IMO that plane has held up well considering the service time and airframe changes.

What the hell did he say, my ________was sucked off my head? Almost sounded like he said cranium.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

its CRANIAL little stupid helmut thing we have to wear when our feet leave the ground, or we are under stuff that might fall on our head.
    pretty dunb IMHO its just a thin little pice of plastic.
    [​IMG]
    crappy picture but thats what it looks like

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Yikes, not much of a match for a turbine.

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

But that was the only thing that saved that guys life. That's what screwed up the turbine and put his feet back on the ground.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya well if he wasent a dumbass in the first place, he would not have stood up so close to the intake.
    I cant tell you how many blue shirts(dudes that move planes on the flight deck) I have tackeled to the ground as they moved toward the intake(i used to work on the EA-6B)
    some people are to dumb to work on the flight deck.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've heard stories where flashlights or tools in peoples hands or pockets were the only things that have saved their lives from the turbines as well.

Can't view that movie here, but I suspect it's the same thing, the helmet hit first?

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It looked to me like this.

He was kneeling down near the intake area and stood up right next to it. As he started to be drawn into the intake his "Cranial" came off and entered before he did. The guy's feet were off the ground at that point and it looked like he was going to be sucked all the way in. The entry of the cranial either shut down the turbine or caused it to spool down enough for him to regain his footing.

Disclaimer: I have never worked on a carrier deck so don't take my word for it.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The intake suction pulled the cranial off his head. When it hit the 1st stage of compressor turbine blades, it shattered, at the same time breaking numerous 1st stage turbine blades. All this shrapnel was sucked further into the engine's turbine and stator stages, causing progressively worse damage. At the same time, the obstruction of intake air caused by his body taking up half the inlet area induced a compressor stall, which along with the turbine damage, caused the engine to die. The compressor stall is really what saved him - once a turbine engine experiences a compressor stall, there's no more airflow, therefore no more intake suction.