Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A big problem I had with Summit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82Jimmy, Aug 4, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Alright I got this new Camshaft I was going to install Monday, but the only problem was is that I didn't know what timing chain, Valve Springs, lifters and what not went with my new cam (i had CCA-122254 .555intake and exhaust) I sold that because it was way to freakin big. Now I have CCA-122122 it has like .470 exhaust and intake. I called the techline, which is a long distance phone call...I talked to one man that transfered me, then got put on hold for 10 minutes talked to him, he didn't know and said that anything would work with that cam shaft...which is a load of crap. So I called the customer service department to complain about that, and they kept me on hold (1-800) for 45minutes. Then when I asked if anyone knew what the hell I was talking about the lady said Sir this is the customer service department what do you want me to do? I told her to find someone that knew something about camshafts...she hung up on me. I am really mad at summit right now...they need to hire someone that acutally knows something about camshafts....not just what the screen says. anyone have similar problems? No I never got short and yelled at them either.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

2. I've bought a few things off the,never had any trouble myself.I bought a set of there intrax drop springs for my impala.After I installed them the drivers side front started getting lower and lower.I call them up and told them what was going on,they said that they would waranty the springs.I ordered a new set of Eback springs,installed them and returned the other springs.The give me a full refund and paid for the shipping.I know this isnt what you wanted to here,sorry.About the cam do you have the springs for the bigger cam?Is it hydrolic?Was the other cam hydrolic?The best way to get matching componits is buy one of the comp cam K/kits they come with cam,lifters,springs,retainers,locks,timing chain and lube!!!
    Plus it all matches,hope this helps.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Get in line! I live about 45 mins from them and have been dealing with them for over 10 years and my father used to buy chrome wheels off of them when they first started out in a garage(loooooong time ago)...

They have been going down hill for the past 5 years or so. Their employees are rude and their customer service is really starting to suck! There are some good people there, but they are hard to find.
    I think I am going to start dealing with Jegs. They offer the same Free shipping, they had an 800 number before Summit and you can call it for tech support and the people are friendly. Also the prices are within a buck or two.
    And also if you didn't know, Summit trys pass off Flowmasters new "Delta Force mufflers to you for $73 and doesn't tell you that you can still get the old style for $59, where Jegs has them all listed. Thats a crock!

I am sure there are a lot of other that are experiencing th same problems!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Hey emmett,have you been to the big sales store in columbus yet?Its over by the fair grounds,There is the machien shop
    and wharehouse!!Blowers,parts,crome!!!!!!!!!!!!HHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'ts like going to heaven!!

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Not yet, but I think I am stopping this weekend. I have a Holley fuel pump that I bought from Summit and it doesn't work, so i am returning it. I may stop in at Jegs because I need a fuel pressure regulator and a flowmaster so i may pick those up this weekend with the money from the fuel pump.
    Where is Jegs exactly? I heard it is on 11ave east, can I get to it from 315? I am not real familiar with the area.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

bigbad82k5, its a hydrolic, the other was hydrolic, but the other was a mechanical cam...sold it to a guy in a lowrider...! Anyway...do you know what goes with my cam?

7. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Call a machine shop. I had the same problem when I built my last engine. I didn't want a whole kit. The guy at the machine shop said that for the lift of the cam I had he could get me a set of Z28 springs for $30.00. Not bad since Every one else thought I had to have a set of $65.00 springs. Course I run a cam now with around .488" with stock springs and haven't had a problem yet. As for the timing set, I'd stick with a name brand, just be sure to get a true double roller(Cloyes, most auto parts carry them). And for the lifters I really don't see a big diff. other than names. I worked a NAPA for a while and never had any of our lifters come back. Sorry for the book. Maybe this will help?-Russell

8. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That helps! I called comp cams tech line (1-800) and they said they have been flooded with angry people from summits tech line...I wasn't on hold but for 10minutes never got transfered...the guy didn't know what a cam shaft was or did (read it all of a computer screen) I just got my engine bored .030 over and he said that meant nothing to him...since he drove a geo metro to work or something...got what I needed...thanks for all the help guys.

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

bigbad82k5,

What year Impala do you have ? I've got a 65 super sport. I've attached a pic of it on the next post.

L8r,

.Riz.

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Here it is.

.Riz.