Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A bit of an amateur question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, May 26, 2005.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

So my heater controls don't work anymore....they just go through the vents on the dash and *very* little bit gets to the window even when its on defrost. This isn't crucial now that its nice out again but I got to thinking.

This vaccuum hose that comes out of the (firewall right by my big red amp wire)

[​IMG]

And its hooked up here to vaccuum on the carb

[​IMG]

Should it be hooked up somewhere else? Like here:

[​IMG]

Any thoughts? I'm stumped so far.

And a pic of the engine just for fun

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Nice motor, but I'll give you a tip I wish everyone else had given me.... though I don't blame anyone for my misfortune... If that is a Q-Jet carb, please please put the original air cleaner on it when you drive it, and put the chrome on only for show... My open air cleaner was the driving force behind my fire, and had I put the original air cleaner back on, it would have been fine... The fire would have been snuffed out by the lack of oxygen...

3. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

There are vacuum operated valves (air and coolant) that get the vacuum from the plastic accumulator and are controlled by the heater controls.

All of that went away when I converted to the Vintage Air A/C system.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the crazy pic size! I changed it and now at least u can see the whole pic. Anyways, so you're saying I do need to hook it up to the "accumulator" some how?
    Oh and as for the stock air cleaner, I don't even think I have it anymore.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Anyone??

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

anyone

What year and model truck? Accumulators hold large amounts of vac. I dont believe the heater controls use one. Let me know what year and I will look out front. 79,85,91 k5 outside. 91 is different but the other 2 should have the answer .........also hook it to a main vac. line and see if it makes a difference. My daughters 84 k5 had a leak and by moving the line to a bigger source I was able to hear/find it.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Its an 81 blazer.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

That vacuum line should be attached to the accumulator. The controls lack the necessary vacuum to move the doors into the defrost mode (for example). I had a '72 hooked up like yours, and it would only stay on defrost if I held the idle high. Once I hooked that line to the accumulator life was good once again!

By the way, the accumulator should have a big hose to the engine (source) and a smaller one to the cab (the one you have the arrows to).

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hey, thanks alot for the good info! I'll try to remember to get it hooked up right soon. I'll probably forget because now that its nice out again. lol