Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Blazer good for first vehicle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Dec 25, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I'm 16 and will be getting a vehicle soon, but not sure if I want a Blazer that gets 10mpg (the 87+ with tbi will cost too much for insurance) but then again they're dirt cheap to fix. I also like the idea of being able to go pretty much anywhere and it might snow a couple times a year here (washington) but then again I could get a car and get 30mpg and instead of spending $100 or so a month on gas i'll spend $30 or so. Should I put getting a Blazer off, or get it now so I'll have something awesome to drive and show off in autoshop (tired of those crappy dodge trucks, one kid thinks his 2wd is bad ass with a huge mofo bumper and winch on it-POS though) input please!

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Im 15 and not made of money but the choice was easy for me [​IMG] I figure it's worth it! Maybe I will eventually get a cheap little pos to run around in for gas issues but thats a last resort.

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT
    <font color=red>MERRY CHRISTMAS</font color=red>

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

you are on a blazer site...you know what the answer is goin to be...get the blazer! [​IMG]

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Is a blazer a good first vehicle?????

MMMM YEAH mine was...
    they make a great first vehicle...or 2nd...or even 3rd...and they'll be your last vehicle too[​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

5. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Registered Member

I'm 18 now and been working on my 88 since I was 16. I live in NH and travle to MASS allot for school. I love my Jimmy, I fixed the rot in all the corners and rebuilt the old 350. My truck is stock hight with 31 inch tires(not for long) I get pretty good gas milage with3.73's on the highway. Its when you take 4 or 5 three mile runs to the store and back driving in city roads thats the MPG start to get bad. I put a K&amp;N filter in and that helped with gas and it gave me some more power to.
    Thats just my 2 cents hope it helps (Buy a Blazer)

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

if you wish to know all the secrets of the universe, buy the blazer :)

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

7. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Yup.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Look at it from a safety issue. Would you rather be in a wreck while driving in a small car or a 5000lb blazer? The choice is clear. Last year I was rear ended by a 2000 Honda Accord, a pretty hefty car, and it was smashed. Granted that's what theyre 'sposed to do, but my blazer was virtually unscratched! The Honda was beyond help.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

9. anatomiczero

I knew you people would say Blazer, that's why I posted it here :) It's just that my dad says it costs a lot for gas (he has an 80 jimmy 350) but he hardly drives the Jimmy, justto work pretty much and it just sits there getting in worse condition while I try to fix some of the stuff on it. I don't really care what he says about the gas and insurance (hell insurance on the older ones is pretty damn cheap) I want one!

soon to have a blazer/jimmy

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I had a '74 Blazer for my first car when I was driving with a restricted license when I was 14. It was great. Never should have sold it. Its just kind of a good beginner vehicle to work on. The repairs aren't overly difficult like they can be on smaller, newer cars and the parts are cheap.
    Here is another thing. Image. I know it sounds pretty shallow, but you know its dang important to alot of people in high school. It was 10 times more fun for me to be one of the guys with a big, loud truck...instead of one of the hundreds of people that drove plain jane cars.
    You can't take cars offroad very well, they can't haul that much stuff, you can take the top off a K5 whereas on most cars you would have to buy a convertible which is usually a "girlie" car, and most important is roomy backseat area in the Blazers [​IMG].

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I'm 17 and have had my 1990 Jimmy for 1.5 years now, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't have anything else, my parents gave it to me bone stock, and have been working on it since then. '73 K5 is right, image may be shallow but nothing can get someone's attention like a skyhigh K5. I not the only lifted 4x4 in town but it'll turn heads...The mpg shouldn't be a bad issue as long as you stay off the stupid pedal...when mine was stock with 31's and a 31 gal. tank it would take me about 2 weeks to run her out. What would you feel safer in, a 5000+lbs blazer(tank) or a 3000lb rice burner/(coffin)... Another thing everyone has pointed out is that parts are extremely easy to find and suspension lifts are the most bang for your buck. I am not made of money either but after working for two years I was able to put a lift, tires/wheels, axles, engine work and interior work within two years and with a reasonable budget. I'd get the K5 in a heartbeat and wouldn't think twice, go for it!

1990 GMC Jimmy 350 TBI Edelbrock,1 ton Dana 60 ,4.56, Detriot Locked Corp 14B 4.56, 6in BDS, 37x12.50 SSR's 16x10 AE 589

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Here is another persuaion, I lived through a rollover. I rolled six times down a 75 foot hill that was a 70 degre incline. Like to see you do that in a honda :) Actually I dont wish that on anybody, but seriously something can happen and you want to be as safe a possible. The Jimmy was the first vehicle I drove when I was 16 while I finished the Firebird.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

really depends anatomiczero. One look at how far you drive. If you make long trips and/or drive alot you may be better to go with a more fuel eficient vehicle. Also some blazers are better freeway drivers (comfortwise) then others. 4wd? Do you need it or would you be just fine with a FWD car?

Another thing is can you work on the truck and do you like to work on your vehicles. IME, a lot of these trucks need work when sold. Suspension (ball jt's, tie rods, drag links etc.) can add up quick at approx $50 a part. If you can't do the ball jt's or don't have the press it will cost you about 2 hrs shop labor rate a side to do them (at our shop that is about 150 bucks... plus add the 100 in ball jt's). Even if you have the tools and know how parts add up. Look at the truck's condition... rust is a huge problem and can ve expensive to repair. Tire are more expensive then alot of vehicles if they are worn. Look at the milage... 100k you can expect a starter, alternator, water pump in the next 20,000 miles (this is the same with any vehicle for the most part and these items are cheaper then many other vehicles so that is a plus). The tranny can puke anywhere after 100k. The OD trannys are especially prone. 87 and later 700's are a bit better then the earlier models. The differental out back is usually in need of an overhual at 180 to 200k. The transfer case can also be a problem at this age if not earlier.

Basically I love my Blazer... I would buy one for someone I know cause I can work on it, but at 16 a vehicle can easily suck you dry... especially if things are wrong soon after the purchase. Even doing your own work can add up fast, plus keep in time your time as well. Spending every waking moment on your truck can get old. This is really gonna be true of most trucks in the market today IMO. Most of the resale values for trucks are much higher then cars, so a lot of time you can can a much better car for the same money. I hate to discourage anyone from buying a blazer cause they are awsome rigs, but do think about stuff. Not only on blazer but other vehicles too. Alot of 16 year olds can be pretty cocky and somewhat nieve. Heck I was [​IMG].

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'd go K5... I'm 17 and Right now I'm looking for my 5th car, number 3 was a 79 K5.. other than the motor dying on me and the full time 4wd (goes all over) it was awsome... I'm gonna probably end up with another K5 or a K20/K30 pickup if I can actually find a nice one around here... If you can find one, I'd get the 40 gallon tank. My 79 had a 400 engine in major need of a rebuild and all that fun stuff.. got about 7-8 MPG... I never would've known it was that bad the way it saved gas... of course it costed about $45-$50 to fill the tank depending on gas prices, but that went pretty far!
    Don't really have an image at school, but if I am seen driving something it had better be a damn nice car/truck!

I guess what I'm trying to say is GET THE K5

79 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/capman2k/>Go Here</a>
    Wyoming doesn't exist, the map maker just needed to fill the space above Colorado[​IMG]

15. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

There are a couple things to consider. You can get a K5 and look for an 87 to 91 since they will have fuel injection and the better auto-overdrive 700r4 trans and stay out of the gas and get about 17 mpg. Insurance will probably be a little on the high side no matter what you drive because of your age but an older K5 might be cheaper the a newer rice burner. Also parts for a K5 are cheaper then a ricer. If you think balljoints and stuff for a K5 is expensive just price Honda, Toyota, and Nissan parts and you might be in for a shock. Gas might be cheaper but the cost to repair a ricer makes up for that in the long run. My oponion is if you want a K5 you might as well get it and be happy. Also if gas is the big deal get your buddies to chip in when you use your K5 for a night on the town. Plus nothing pisses me off more then a ricer that I can stick a coke can up the exhaust and it makes alot of noise and can't get out of its own way.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

16. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

I love my K5, but the voice of reason in me says that you had better be ready to turn some wrenches, With this in mind you need to consider down time, and repair costs, If your young 16-21 and your relations have dough and are willing to let it flow into your k5 then get it...but if you have little cash flow, consider geting another vehicle, but in my own situation I wouldn't buy another vehicle

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

17. anatomiczero

Thanks to everyone for the great replies! It looks like a Blazer may cost more if I need to put an engine/tranny etc. in, but at $1,300 for a new 249hp 350ci as apposed to $2k plus for a four banger it's not a tough decision there.

Insurance, well liabilty will be cheaper, but i'm not sure if that will be good coverage, should I have comprehensive? I'll be driving about 10mi a day for school, 6mi or so for work when I do work then whatever else when I just drive around so it might not be too bad, prob about $100 or so a month, then $150 or so for insurance (i don't have a B average, only B-) but then again my parents will pay for the insurance once in a while like they did for my bro, so K5 here I come.

Oh yea, there's some nice 75' to 80' or so Blazers with rebuilt engines, lift, tires etc for like $3,500 or theres ones that are pretty much stock in that year maybe with a rebuilt engine for $2,000 or so, and the 87' + gor for atleast $5-6 grand so that's too much for me.

soon to have a blazer/jimmy<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by anatomiczero on 12/26/01 12:17 AM.</FONT></P>

18. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I heard about a blazer when i was 14 i worked for three months to earn $600.00 in order to buy an 82'k10(K10 designating the deisel engine) silverado hat had been stolen off a car lot and dumped in the woods after having the 350/700R4/208combo ripped out of it.I bought it in november it sat at my uncles for 8 months before i moved it hme where it sat for another year before even touching it. Eventualy once i got my licence and after searching swapping and installing it evolved into the biggest blazer in my area it turns heads all day long can park on top of all those anoying citydwellers in there little sportscars and last time i tried got a 950 give or take a couple points on my 35% RTI ramp. All with under $1100 Invested in the whole truck. SO yes a blazer is the perfect first rig Its always nice to seemore blazers on the road. In my opinion its better to bring an old truck back from the dead than to see these pavement pounding plastic piles of junk getting in the way. Happy wheelin and dont forget to break something.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

19. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I heard about a blazer when i was 14 i worked for three months to earn $600.00 in order to buy an 82'k10(K10 designating the deisel engine) silverado that had been stolen off a car lot and dumped in the woods after having the 350/700R4/208combo ripped out of it.I bought it in november it sat at my uncles for 8 months before i moved it hme where it sat for another year before even touching it. Eventualy once i got my licence and after searching swapping and installing it evolved into the biggest blazer in my area it turns heads all day long can park on top of all those anoying citydwellers in there little sportscars and last time i tried got a 950 give or take a couple points on my 35% RTI ramp. All with under $1100 Invested in the whole truck. SO yes a blazer is the perfect first rig Its always nice to seemore blazers on the road. In my opinion its better to bring an old truck back from the dead than to see these pavement pounding plastic piles of junk getting in the way. Happy wheelin and dont forget to break something.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

20. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

I just bought my first Blazer and I love it. Im already planning on buying an older one, once Im out of the Navy. Those dodge girls are weird too, just wath em' when there around your new toy! Its worth it.