Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Blazer story

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer1970, Apr 26, 2000.

1. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Leave Fri. at about 4pm for 200 mile trip from West Olive to Traverse City, MI. About an hour and change into the trip, Blazer quits running - roll to side of hiway, won't start. Pull out my spare plug to check for spark, trying to figure out how to turn key and watch at the same time, dog refuses to do either. Just then, Pete from work shows up, also on his way north for weekend. Pete has an '81 or '82 white Blazer, although he is not driving it at the time. Truck has spark. Run a few hundred yards across a corn field, and beg gas can w/ about a gallon in it from a nearby house. '77 or '78 Blazer for sale at nearby house for $1000 - looks like a good deal. Run back. Truck will run when fuel is poured in carb, but will not keep running. Cops show up. Turns out to be the same state trooper who ticketed me for open intox. a couple weeks ago - he owes me. Cops take gas can and $20 and get it filled up while I wait with dog (I thought maybe the fuel wasn't up to the pickup, gas gauge is flakey). Cops bring gas back - pour in a couple gallons, still won't run. Cops call wrecker. Get towed to towing company / used car lot in Shelby, MI (AKA BFE). Auto parts stores are closed, and no one is much help finding a fuel pump. Visions of sleeping in the Blazer. Meet Joe in the parking lot. Joe thinks he has a fuel pump in his garage. Talk Joe into driving me to his house to look. Joe's place is a trailer with his kid's trailer next door, surrounded by about 15 - 20 junk cars. Joe's kid has an '86 Blazer for sale for $1500 - looks like a good deal. Joe's garage has two SBC motors, and piles of parts. After 20 minutes of searching, and one false alarm, Joe pulls out a dirty old fuel pump - it looks like the right one. I push the lever, and it pumps! Joe drives me back to the truck, I give him $20. It takes about 20 minutes to put on Joe's pump, and the truck fires right up. God bless old Chevys. Cost me $85 ($65 towing + $20 to Joe), and about 4 hours total, but I am on my way. Sorry for this long post.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That is a good story dude. Looks like you turned a bad situation into a good one. That's the beauty of old Chevys though, most parts are interchangeable.
    Boss

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

it's a little late for this advice now but for years I have always kept a water pump 2 gallons of water, a fuel pump 2 qts of oil and 2 qts of tranny fluid in an old milk crate in the back of all vehichles that I have ever owned, This comes in really handy sometimes.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Ya know I just love that feeling...that when faced with adversity....it suddenly all comes together....ooouuurah

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

5. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Good story. My other vehicle is a 94 Corvette coupe. Most people who own corvettes for the "joy" of the car, not as a status symbol, tend to look out for other vette owners who are in trouble on the side of the road. I've always enjoyed that feeling. It's also one of the reasons that I chose to get a K5 instead of a Jeep. Seems the K5 guys don't care what your blazer looks like, they just like helping out a fellow 4x4er.

6. dutterback

dutterback Registered Member

I heard on time that if this happens, for emergencies only, you can pump all of the windshield washer fluid from your washer tank, fill it up with gas, run the line to the top of the carb, and you can limp it a little way by operating the washer pump from in the cab. I don't know how well it would work but it might be worth a try rather than paying a tow bill.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I do now have a spare fuel pump, and a fan belt. I will soon be adding an HEI module, and I think I have a water pump in the garage.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350