Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A body Tire fitting

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ABO, Dec 28, 2002.

1. ABO

ABO Registered Member

So this up comming summer I am going to get some new tires and wheels for my 72' cutlass.
    I've got a bunch of articals, I've checked out some sites and I'm still not sure what size tires will fit.
    I'm thinking that I want to go with a set of 15 inch torq thrust D's. I know that it's going to come right down to just trying some out but I wanted to know if anyone out there had any other info or sites before I decide.
    Thanks for any help

Fred

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you go with a 10" wide rim you will have to pay attention top the backspacing or the tire will hit the fender. I think you 3.5 inches or so to clear the wider tire. A 10" wide crager would barely clear on my '71 chevelle and would not clear very well on my '68 Chevelle. the fenders are a little different in the back. With the right backspacing lots of tire will fit.

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I just got new Cragar SS 14 x 8 wheels with 3 5/8" back space. The tires are 245/60/14 rear and 235/60/14 front. They are mounted on my 72 Chevelle. The rear looks tight but they do clear. With a 15" wheel, be very careful which backspace you choose. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I fit 28x12.5/15 (equal to a 325/50r15) M/T sportsman pros on the back of my 70 GTO. 15x8 rims with 4" backspacing. You may have to trim the outer lip just a little, it was really close, but didnt hit on mine. My GTO also had the 8.2 Pontiac rearend with bolt in axles. Dont know if that makes a difference.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif