Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C air vent doesn't blow hard

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Aug 18, 2006.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if the vents on these trucks are supposed to blow a pretty good amount of air because when I have mine on high it doesn't feel like nearly as much air comes out as in other vehicles. Are these vents just like that or do I need to change out my blower motor maybe??:confused:

2. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Could be that you need a new motor. Could be that the duct work has partially come off the back of the vent.

3. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

all the duct work is on I looked at it recently when I had part of the dash off

4. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

What year is it? Does it blower when you have it on the highest setting? or does it turn off when you goo al the way up?

5. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Its an 86. It blows when I have it all the way up it just doesn't feel like it blows out as much air as it should and it doesn't turn off

6. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

On high speeds your blower motor should have full 12 volts to it. If it was me I would disconnect the blower and jump 12 volts to it and see if it blows any harder. If not then you may have a duct problem. I just took my 89 apart for a leaking heater core and had to get a $10.00 baffle that was broken and looked like someone tried to reglue it at some point. That might beyour problem. If the blower motor doesnt blow any harder with full 12 volts, take off the front cover duct that is behind the glove bock (take glove box off) then the dct cover and you should be able to check that plastic baffle. It rotates when you pull the front cable, There is also an adjustment for the rear cable as well. Hope this helps.

7. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

I'll give that a try hopefully it works, Thanks

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

There is a plastic piece that mounts to a door/baffle that opens to the vents. Every sing truck I have ever looked at was broken. Right behind the glovebox, take off the cover to the vent system. Look to see if the plastic piece is broken. its easy to see.

I purchased a replacement from chevyduty for a couple bucks.

Disclaimer - This may be what a previous poster was saying. I think this is an AC only feature.

9. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine was barely blowing when I bought it off the po. He had thought it was a problem with the speed control switch in the dash and had ordered it in. I replaced it but didn't help. Found a relay that was corroded and replaced it and it fixed the problem. I guess it was getting current, just not enough. The relay was mounted on the blower motor housing.76' K5

10. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

when i got my blazer fromt he previous owner it didnt blow hard and it was because the guy who last replaced the heater didnt seal it off and was blowing air of finto the engine bay.

11. SilverMiner

SilverMiner Registered Member

Do you have the part number from chevyduty? I was just looking through the catalog, and couldn't figure out which part it might be. Is this part the same on all 73-91's, or are there differences between the 73-80's and the 81-91's?

12. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

The part number fot the plastic baffle is #3056645 and list for $11.21. You do have to take the heater box out to get to it so you might as well replace the heater core and hoses too. (if that is your problem).

13. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Registered Member

I think this is the same problem that I have.

I'll be taking this to my mechanic!

14. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

You know the baffle is broken or that its not blowing like it should?

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

The little plastic piece on top of the baffle door that allows it to swing open and closed is the part that breaks all the time. It should cost only $2-3 at a GM dealer. Doesn't need a mechanic to fix - it's really easy. Pull off the heater distribution box and there it is. I may have the part number around somewhere, I'll see if I can find it after work...

16. SC-Texas

1. I know the motor is working.
    2. I know the motor is turning the fan in teh right direction
    3. I know the A/C is working- the air is cold.
    4. I know that my mechanic has sated that the vents are attached & he felt that the only thing left was the baffles. He thought it would be real complicated to get at them.

17. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Sorry I know what piece you are talking about now....mine was fine though... but I can see where it could break off. The problem I found was the baffle inside has a rod that goes through it and only a half moon in it for the rod to turn it. The part of the plastic with the half moon was shattered on mine. Hope its the top rod clip for you. That would be a way easier fix!

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

OK, yea I know that part. Hopefully his prob is the top clip.

19. SC-Texas

OK, I found my problem.

There is a plastic part that has broken and I cannot seem to find a replacement. Anyone have any ideas what this peice is called and where I can find one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

I need to know the part number or description for the little white plastic part on the door also. Mine is broken too.