Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Blower Fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BulldogK5, Apr 12, 2007.

1. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got the A/C fixed in the crewcab this weekend. Yesterday I was going down the road and the thing all of a sudden quits blowing even on low, it had been set on the 3rd speed. The air will move just very low speed, as if the blower is not forcing anything. The service manual says to chek the fuses first which I did on the fuse block.

It also states there is an inline fuse somewhere between the junction block and the relay in the wiring harness. This protects the blower assembly separate from the rest of the heat-A/C system. Problem is I can't find it.:mad: Has anybody ever had this fuse blow or seen it to give me an idea where it is inline?

2. BulldogK5

Oh yeah, truck is a '91 w/350, auto & obviously A/C.

Thanks

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Try by-passing the resistors. They are located in the AC box (engine compartment side) and are a small panel like 2" x 3" with an electrical connection, when you pull it out, there will be 3 coils of wire of different lengths. If the fan runs still, then its not the problem, and the fuses are still good (i think), so its usually the resistors or the actual fan switch

4. BulldogK5

Thank You.:laugh: I will try this tonight.

Any other suggestions? Anybody?

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Change the relay that sits next to the reciever dryer. It's metal with a big plastic plug that plugs into the bottom.

Sounds like the problem to me, it's 12 bucks at Napa. I only had the HI setting, that was my problem and the relay was bad.

6. BulldogK5

New info. This happened yesterday while going to pick up my daughter when it quit working. Last night I checked all connections and everything seemed ok. Still couldn't get it to work. It sat overnight and still would not work this morning. Aboot 5 mins ago I had to put something in the truck and thought I would try it and see. Lo and behold the sucker worked. What would cause it to work intermittently? Bearings going bad, but wouldn't I hear a problem with that?

7. BulldogK5

Once again it worked for a while and then quit. I did not get a chance to check out the relays though. I am not familiar with relays and am wondering if this still sounds like the problem?

Thanks for the help.:laugh:

8. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

when it quits, go tap on the blower with a screwdriver or hammer, and If it starts spinning fast, you have a bad blower.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ditto, and maybe tap on the relay too... if neither items come on or off then wiggle the switch a little bit. If still you don't get any kind of response than it's time to get the multimeter out. A bad connection could cause intermittent working like that too.

10. isaac

isaac 1/2 ton status

mine would do the same thing check the connection from the wire to the motor mine was bad...