Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C blower motor question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ringer, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ringer

ringer Registered Member

Hi ALL,

I have a 1985 Suburban w/ the 6.2L diesel. I need to change the blower motor, but am confused on how to access the motor. The blower/condenser is surrounded by a plastic material that I can not seen to find a wqay to remove.

Could someone explain how to getr to the blower motor?

Thanks

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There should be a small circular object on the firewall in that black box right next to the fenderwell. You should see your heater hoses just to the right of it. Just a couple of small bolts and it is out but be carefull when changing the squirrel cage because they are old and briddle. Don't worry, you don't need to pull out the whole evap box. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The blower motor is mounted on the firewall, under the hood, very close to the passenger side fender. There's a single purple wire attached to it. It's held in place by 5 or 6 small screws and can be swapped for a new one in about 3 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ringer

ringer Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, and the welcome:)

Here are a few pics of the material I am talking about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blower motor is on the left of the pics underneath the "rubberized" insulation material. This material is my problem. It appears to be a continuous piece that is mounted behind the condenser/evaporator tubing and even the fuel filter mount.

I am unclear about accessing the area behind the material without tearing it up.

Thanks

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The blower motor comes off the front side of the box, so there is no need to have anything to do with that 'material'.

That material is factory sound deadener because of the 6.2.

Rene

6. FWP

FWP CRS

I just went through this fiasco myself on my 84 (6.2 w/AC) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I don't know what years they did this to, but whoever designed it needs to be gutshot /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. The plastic goes around the WHOLE AC including the blower. To get it off you have to pull all the nuts/ bolts, as if you were going to pull the evap box out, including both heater hoses, as it also surrounds them too /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I said F that, and got out my rotozip and cut it open to access the blower motor.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    That material is factory sound deadener because of the 6.2.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering what that was there for, I learned something, thanks rene

8. ringer

ringer Registered Member

Thanks for the replies eveyone.

I came to the exact conclusion as FWP except I used a Dremel /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif