Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C bracket for headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, Oct 16, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i've got the short style A/C compressor on my K5, everyplace i talked to said i needed the aftermarket bracket for my A/C. this is the one i got:

[​IMG]

now this may sound stupid, but is this bracket just for the older, longer A/C compressors. if it's supposed to fit mine, i sure as hell can't figure out how. somebody on here has to know. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif if there is another one for my K5, does anybody have a part number for it. if not, i'm just going to make my factory bracket work by grinding it down, and making spacers for it.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would imagine it says on the package what style it is for or both. not trying to call you dumb or anything but it would really suprise me if it doesn't say. Try summit online, they carry the right bracket.

3. rick88blaze

[ QUOTE ]
    not trying to call you dumb or anything

[/ QUOTE ]

don't worry, you're not going to insult me. i've been called a lot worse by people i've known in my life. anyways, the package doesn't say what it's for. it just says A/C bracket for headers on sbc. i'll give summit a call and see what they say. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

rick

4. blzr4x4ngkid2

blzr4x4ngkid2 Registered Member

If you can't get the new bracket to work, just cut your old one. Torch or grind off the rear bracket mount so it fits around the header tube. That's what I did when I put headers on my '88 K5 and I know other people who cut them as well. I didn't use spacers though, didn't see a reason. Hmmm?

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Yes..it is for the GM A6 compressor...i just thru one out...

DW

6. rick88blaze

i'll probably cut my old one to fit later tonight. so the bracket will bolt up to the compressor and P/S pump without spacers, or did you just bolt it to the A/C compressor, and not worry about the P/S pump? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

rick

7. rick88blaze

i got it working. i cut off the bolt hole that went towards the back of the engine. got everything lined up and tightened up and it works like a charm. thanks for all the help!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. blzr4x4ngkid2

blzr4x4ngkid2 Registered Member

That's exactly what I did. Just cut-off the rear mounting point. I didn't even know they made after market brackets for A/C. Oh well, what we did works.

9. rick88blaze

they make the bracket like in my first post for the older, long skinny compressors, but, i called around town here, and nobody even had a part # for an aftermarket bracket for the newer short compressors. who gives a crap, it all works now!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

i just went through the same problem, use the stock bracket and cut the piece that bolts to the stock manifold i also fabbed a brace that goes into the third header bolt from the front. works fine could not find a replacement bracket.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif