Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Clutch Amperage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Jan 3, 2007.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Does anybody have any reliable info on how many amps the old long style GM AC Clutch uses?
    I'm wiring, and searching around I see various things rangin from 2.5amps :laugh: to 18 amps :eek1:. I'm using it for an onboard air system.
    I suppose I could go get a cheap inline fuse holder and a bunch of fuses of different amperages and watch them burn up, but, I figured somebody might know? :D

2. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

3 amps for the clutch on the longer round compressor. (tested mine)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  3. 73k5blazer

Alright! That matches my calculations.
    Well, I dusted off the old brain cells I built up in college, and using ohms law, I measured the resistance of the clutch, at 4.1ohms, using the formula
    amps=volts/ohms
    14/4.1=3.4amps
    Not a perfect number, but a good overall idea of what it could be. Add a couple for saftey.

I guess the 12ga wire I used is overkill :rotfl:

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I measured the draw with a meter so your calculations and my measurements, should be pretty darn close.

How are you oiling this compressor???

5. 73k5blazer

I've an oiler on the inlet side and a de-oiler on the outlet side.
    The de-oiler drain will be plumbed to the oiler fill, so it'll be somewhat automatic.
    I've an old writeup from a mid 90's Fourwheeler mag on how capable these compressors are, only downfall, they aren't internally lubricated, but the oilder/deoiler should take care of that.
    They ran without any lube for many months and didn't report any problems.

6. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

If it is an A6, then it is most certainly internally lubricated. The bulge in the bottom is an oil sump, and it has a gerotor oil pump located in the rear housing. Still, the oiler/deoiler is needed because it does tend to discharge a bit of oil along with air (or refrigerant in it's normal use). Not much, but a little bit.

7. 73k5blazer

Hmm...so I've one from my '73 K5, long style, and it has a bulge on it, and I've one, long style, from an early 80's GM car, long style, but no buldge.

8. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

The heavy-@$$ one with the bulge is an A6. The other one is probably an HR6. A6's are readily identifiable by the bulge and the cast iron end plates each attached with 4 nuts. That and they weigh a ton :D

9. 73k5blazer

Hmm, well, thanks! That's good to know. I was tempted to use the newer one, because, it's newer, I didn't know there was a difference, but now I do!
    I'll have to see if the clutches swap though, because the clutch on the 73 one is completely shot, the newer one works though. Those clutches are $100! :eek1: