Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Clutch removal?? Any hints/tips?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dale_gribble, Oct 9, 2006.

1. dale_gribble

dale_gribble Registered Member

I ran a search, couldn't find anything. The bearing in the A/C clutch assembly is making a racket. Being the fact that the whole clutch assembly is $110 and a bearing is $10, I decided on the latter.

Anyone swapped this bearing? Any help would be appreciated, regarding the clutch removal and bearing replacement. Thanks!

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

special tools and there is specs as to free play and air gaps. i might not try this my self. but thats me.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Need to go down to auto parts store and buy a AC clutch puller/installer. Back out nut on the compressor shaft.Thread on the puller pull clutch/pully assembly and remove pully/clutch assembly. Take out the snap rings that hold the bearing in. Gently tap out the bearing. Reinstall. Dont tighten up the compressor shaft nut too much or the clutch faces will rub. There are measurements for the air gap between them. But i usually just get the faces close enough togeather so the clutch faces dont rub. Also allow a little extra gap for heat expantion.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gap is around 25 thou if I remember correctly. A business card thickness!