Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C compressor as AIR COMPRESSO?R

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 15, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Has anybody ever retrofitted a compressor for an air conditioning unit as an air compressor for OTHER THINGS? Things such as, ARB's, Air Horns [​IMG], air tools, filling tires...you know the usual [​IMG]. Just wondering....

I am about to purchase (i.e. this week [​IMG], 11/15/2001)a 1987 K5. I am so excited. I has a 4" lift, 33's, Flowmaster, & pretty to boot

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Check out the York compressor install writeup on the main page of this site.

To my knowledge, our stock A/C compressors aren't as easy to use (or even possible to use) as an air compressor.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

3. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

I have this done right now on my rig. I just pulled a compressor from the junk yard, made sure it worked, and then cut the input and output hoses. Went to the local welding supply store that has everything, and had the guy clamp on some npt ends. From there, I just had to make sure that I had a lubricant constantly running through and a seperator feeding it back to the intake. I have huge tube bumpers for tanks and at around 1200-1400 rpm I can get 90 psi straight out of the output line. And the best thing is that the compressors are dirt cheap at junkyards and you generally don't have to fab up brackets. People marvel when I whip out the air line and go to town right off the front of my truck. I used the shut-off from grainger and have it set to cut in at 90 and out at 120. It has a 30 degree fixed differential and was only like 12 bucks

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/danswift79> My Photos </a>

<font color=green> God Blessed Us With General Motors </font color=green>

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

SWEET...got any pics you can send me of this setup? The only problem is that the compressor has a shot bearing at the moment and is just hanging out on the engine (no belt of course) Do you think it would be relatively easy to fix this?

Peace,
    Chris

1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]

5. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

As far as pics go, I don't have any so sorry about that. In regards to fixing the shot bearing, I am sure it is possible, but I haven't dealt with it. You would probably be better off just pulling one from a yard somewhere. I can however give you a good idea of what you need. First (starting at intake side) you need to either feed a line from inside your air cleaner after the filter or get an air filter for a compressor. Next, run that hose to an inline oiler. Next, the compressor. then after that get an oil seperator with a drain and feed that back to the oiler. After the seperator you need to go to an unloader( a one way valve that will release pressure after the engine stops running or you turn of the compressor. This is so that the compressir doesn't have to work against air pressure.) that is plugged into whatever kind of air tank you have. The air tank will need to have a gage provision, a coupling for an air hose, a blowoff valve for mechanical failure that will release unwanted pressure and can also be used to flush water when pressure is in the tank. It helps if the blow off is at the bottom of the tank. Lastly, you need a pressure switch. This switch will supply the power to engage the clutch on the compressor when the tank is below the desired pressure. I have power coming out of an open accessory space in the fuse box and running to a toggle and then to the pressure switch and then to the compressor. The compressor is fairly simple and has a prong for positive(power) and negative(ground). Also, be mindful that some of these components may not like heat so in some cases may need to be mounted away from the engine. Right now I am using air tool lubricant that I got from my stepdad's shop. It worked well and I got most of my ideas from a web page. I just searched for on-board-air untill I found info I could use. Thanx for your interest.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/danswift79> My Photos </a>

<font color=green> God Blessed Us With General Motors </font color=green>