Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Compressor clutch removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BRN78BLAZER, Jul 25, 2003.

1. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to get the compressor clutch off my 78 k5. Its the old big long A6 compressor. I got the nut off the center shaft. According to my repair manual i use a type of puller that threads in to the hub, which I have been doing but it keeps popping out. As if the threads in the hub aren't strong enougn.

What else can I do? Am I doing this right? Anybody whos done this have the same problem, or know of any other way to get it off?

Thanks to any replies. -Steve-

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

My first thought is are you using the right puller. There are different ones for different compressors. There are even different ones for the same model.

Also do the threads look like they are ok. Could be that someone used the wrong tool before and somewhat stripped them.

Lastly make sure you have the puller on square!!!

I'll try to check my manuel and see if it jogges my memory and let you know.

Good Luck.

3. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well actually today after work I managed to catch my friend who used to be an a/c mechanic, to try and get his advise. Well...It's the compressor itself that is fawked. The front bearing is toast. So tommorow morning I'm heading down to the u pick it, and try and find another one.

Thanks anyway, but hopefully i can find a decent one and just be done with it.