Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C compressor pully removal.........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89BlazerK5, Sep 13, 2003.

1. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

i was wanting to pull my a/c compressor off the accessory bracket, so i can clean up, and paint the bracket while my engine is out. you can't pull the 3 bolts that hold the compressor out, because they hit the pully. i rented the clutch removal tool kit, and i got the clutch off. now, how the f do you get the dang pully off???? (without discharging the system) i'm about to just give up on painting the bracket.

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Once you have removed the clutch, there is a snap ring that has to be removed before the pulley can be removed. Then using a large puller, you can remove the clutch. You must be very careful not mess up the threads on the end of the shaft with the puller. I replaced the nut on the end of the shaft and then set the puller against the nut, it is kind of a three handed job getting the puller set up.

Also, make sure to take note of the gap between the pulley and the clutch so when you get it all back together the clutch will engage properly.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Actually, you can remove the compressor without removing the pulley. Loosen ALL the bolts, then you can move the compressor around just enough to let the bolts slide past the pulley. Look closely at the heads of the bolts and you'll see one flat side on each one that will give you barely enough clearance to get them off once the compressor is loose enough to wiggle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif