Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C compressor removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by broc944, Mar 18, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to remove my A/C compressor completely, figured it would be a simple matter of a new shorter serpentine belt, and I would be all set. But after looking at how the compressor is mounted and how the belt tensioner is installed it does not look as it is this easy. Anyone done this, or does anyone have a pic of what a 91 350 tbi non A/C V2500 Burb setup looks like. What pics I got off the net do not clearly show the whole picture. Another point I should make is by mid summer I will be installing electric fans and electric water pump, so maybe I should wait and do everything at once but still need info on how the belt is setup.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sometimes you can replace the item with an idler pulley, not sure if there is one for what you want to remove. Also, sometimes the routing of the belt is different if you delete an item. Not all rigs had A/C so i'm guessing there is a way of doing it somehow.

3. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I have a TBI 5.7 out of a Yukon. I got a idler pully from NAPA that replaced the compressor pully. Then you would use the same belt. But, there were clearance problems and I just replaced the compressor. It gets hot here anyway, so I'll hook up the AC soon. You could give it a try. It is not expensive, and fits right in the cradle that mounts the compressor.