Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Compressor replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2K5Blazer, Aug 28, 2006.

1. 6.2K5Blazer

6.2K5Blazer Registered Member

Well I just got the bad news that the AC compressor on my 86 Diesel Blazer is shot. :mad:

I called the stealer to get a price on a new OEM one… $733... I nearly chocked on the mouth piece of the phone as I gasp for air :eek1: . The guy on the other end must have heard me and said they could do "trade" price of $525. Ouch, that still sucks. I can get GM employee pricing on OEM parts but its often not much better than "trade" price and I have to get it shipped from Michigan (I live in Washington (No... not Washington DC)).

So anyone ever deal with aftermarket air conditioner compressors? They are considerable cheaper.

Oh for reference the OEM part number is 1136476

Help if you can.

Thanks!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I had a gorgeous working factory one , clutch went bad . Got a reman one fromt the local Zone , it was 10 dollars more for the whole compressor than the clutch . I did it all since I figured do the hoses etc too .

That reman went one season and died .

Did it again 2 months ago , so far so good . Works well , but noisy at low rpms ( did all right , all components except condensor new , and cleaned vacuumed ) .

So I don't trust reman ones .

Someday when I win the lottery , it will get a new small chrome one on a TPI motor :thumb:

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I bought a compressor for my '90 K5 about a year ago. I checked Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, and Advanced Auto Parts. Advanced had the best price by far.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an AZ reman that has lasted a year. It has a warranty so when it craps out I am only out freon.