Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Compressor Smoking!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89Blazer4wd, Jun 2, 2006.

1. 89Blazer4wd

89Blazer4wd Registered Member

Was driving home from work yesterday and I decided to put the A/C on since traffic was heavy and we weren't moving much. I put it on and it works fine as usual. About 30 minutes later the air isn't really as cold anymore. And then I start to smell burning. I'm like a mile from the house so when i get home I leave it running and pop the hood. I can see smoke coming from the compressor. I watch it for a minute to see what its doing. When the compressor is free spinning its fine, but when the clutch kicks on I can see that its beginning to lock up. Its barely spinning. Infact it really only moves a couple inches, not enough to make an entire 360 degree turn before kicking back off.
    Question is: is there some kind of maintenance that could be done to help fix this, or is this thing on its last breath and i should just look into purchasing a new one? Local junk yards want an average of $150 for a used one and advance auto wants $150 for Reman and $177 for new. What are your suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Patrick

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't bother with a junk yard compressor unless you can find one that is still sealed and has freon. Even then it is probably a waste of $$. Get a new/reman, flush the system well, replace the accumulator and orifice tube, get it drawn down by a shop fill it and you are good to go.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make sure your clutch isn't slipping, that could cause it to smoke.

Don't waste money on used or reman pumps, they are all junk. If you managed to find someplace that carries brand new pumps for $177, BUY TWO AND MAIL ME ONE!!! New compressors go for around $350 from all the supplyers I use.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Stick a 15mm ( some ) or 9/16 14mm ( others ) on the center of the compressor with the engine off and clutch disengaged and see if it will turn .

My reman I bought to replace my original good one ( clutch went on origianal ) took a crap last fall , and the clutch burnt up when the belt was turning the pulley and the compressor couldn't turn .

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  5. 89Blazer4wd

89Blazer4wd Registered Member

Here are the ones that I found online for sale that are NEW.

This one is $177
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=FAA&mfrpartnumber=58237&parttype=387&ptset=A

This one is $241
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=EVP&mfrpartnumber=2617N&parttype=387&ptset=A

If the links don't work you can go to www.partsamerica.com and enter your vehicle information and then look up the part for the price. Not sure of the quality of these compressors, but still I believe the most expensive one on the page was $334.
    Thanks for the help.
    Patrick

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

What kind of compresssor is it? I have a working one I just took out of my burb. I would gladly let go cheap for a CK5 member in need.

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your compressor has seized up and the belt is dragging on the pulley. As stated above you need to stay away from used and re manufactured compressors. Check the net and you should be able to find a new one for right around $ 160 +. You can even try E-bay, just make sure that you get the correct compressor for they may all look alike but there not.

Dan..