Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C compressor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4_76, Aug 14, 2001.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Has anyone convert the a/c compressor to air compressor?I once read article from 4WOR,where they did it,and they said that it produces enough air to run air tools.Is this true?I was thinking this kind of modification on my upcoming K5 project.It's gonna have 6.2 diesel,so the a/c compressor is AK-6 or something.

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There was an article on that. For a junk compressor, it would work fine. Unfortunately, those compressors are lubed by oil passing through the lines, which you can't do with air tools obviously, so the compressor WILL burn up eventually. Disconnect the belt when not in use, it will of course last a lot longer. Many manufacturers (Dodge for one) made AC compressors that look like a V2 engine, that are internally oiled. Take some bracket fabrication, but that should be a trouble free setup.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

York compressors are the best for this setup.

However:

1) Air tools are SUPPOSED to have oil in the lines.

2) There is NO need to take the belt off-that's why there is a clutch on the front of the compressor.

If you wish to use the OE compressor, you need to either oil it regularly or install an oiler on the intake side. The oil coming out won't hurt air tools, but you may not want that much in your tires, so you can put a filter on the output.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

York might be hard to find in here,but I have to check a few places and see what I can find.
    I would still use org. compressor because it's not so tall as the york.I was going to fit it to the place of alternator (bit higher,of course),if I find K5 that has a/c.Otherwise original place.There's gonna be lots of stuff under the hood...

5. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

I have a York on my K5 and it works great! It puts out enough air to get my air tank up to 150psi and then I have to shut it off cause it keeps going. Running air tools is not a prob at all. I can pretty much change all four tires useing an impact on a tank full of air. Like Pete said, it has a clutch of the front of it so you don't have to take the belt off, I just flip the switch on the dash and I have air! It's not that difficult to hook up, I have a diagram of how to do it if you want a copy (have to find it of coarse).

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I'd like to see that diagram when you find it!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

7. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

If you can wait till this weekend no prob. Send me a PM just so I dont loose your info and I will find the diagram this weekend

8. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

Never mind about the PM, just figured out the reminder button

9. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Could you use pressure switch that is set to 150 psi?When proper pressure is reached,it releases the compressor clutch,and it can be set also to minimum psi,so you have air all the time and you don't have jump to flip the switch when working with tools.
    I work with pneumatic stuff almost daily so figuring out the diagram is not big of a deal.In fact,to me it's part of the fun.

10. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

Well since you brought up being lazy thats why there is no preasure switch to turn it off automatically. There is a gauge on it but not the preasure switch yet. It was one of those things that I told myself I would do later and never did, but I really need to!

11. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I'm only lazy with those manual trannys,and that's because I busted my knee years ago.Hevier the clutch,more it hurts to press and hold it:(.
    Anyways,what are the approx. measurements of the york compressor?From bottom to top of the air fittings,widht and from clutch face to rear.And what is the reasonable price to pay of the good,working york?

12. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

11" tall, 7" wide, and 8 1/2" deep. I cannot find the drawing that I have. We moved about 2 months ago so cant hardly find a thing

13. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Thanks for you too,Rene already gave the measurements.I went to make a quick check,and it fits to there,next to alternator.Lower a/c pipe has to be bent a little,and heater hoses needs to be relocated,but otherwise it fits greatly.