Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C condensation problem

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by titanic, Aug 19, 2002.

1. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I have a '94 sub 4x4, 454, 2500. I live in the south with high humidity and when I cut on the A/C-water drips on the passenger side floorboard. I've had the drain that dumps out in the engine department cleaned out and plenty of water drips out during operation but is there a second drain that's blocked? this is getting to be a nuisance.

2. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I have a 97 tahoe which is the same design .When I am running my ac I always get a stream of water coming out of the firewall through the rubber grommett which is normal but if you are getting water inside the cab then it could be your heater core on its way out .You should not have any water inside the truck .check out the heater core for cracked lines etc.............

3. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

you probably have a leaf or dirt/gunk obstructing the drain hole, so the water leaks on the floorboard instead of going outside like its suppose to. there have been many times where dries leaves cause my floorboards to get a little wet sometimes /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me too that its your heater core. My dad had a 89 pickup and his heater core went out 4 times. He had put a couple hundred thousand miles on his truck due to using it for his business. But when that happend there was always water on the passenger side floor and it always ended up being the heater core.

5. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

If it was the heater core-wouldn't the water be warm and the color of anti-freeze? Wouldn't the water leak all the time? This water that drips on passengers feet is ice cold,clear and it never drips until I turn the A/C on and then only after a few minutes. My truck started out as a stripped down AT&T service truck with little to no insulation so I figured the "air box" just gets so cold that condensation forms and drips. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help. Steve

6. Take a look at a same year vehicle to see what the insulated those air boxes with !! You may need to insulate it better or some may have fell off somehow. I had a truck that the O-ring/sealant around the tube to the condesnor was missing and the condensation built up and dripped down the tubing to the inside. Just a couple ideas to look at. !! How is the S-10 beast going? Haven't seen you around for awhile !!

7. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Bigburb-how's it going? I think you are on target about my water drip -will have to check other trucks to compare. My project is going very slow. I decided to build a new engine and someone came along and offered me some money for my axles and now I'm building some Rockwells-so I'm way off schedule. Right now next March is realistic. Steve

8. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have a similar problem with my '95 pick-up, but it is most noticable when it rains, a small puddle on the passenger floor after a heavy rain. your right on the heater core, if it were leaking it would not be clear water and you would know it was anti-freeze by the smell. I looked at mine and it looks like there is a cover on the bottom of the heater box, I'm suspecting a gasket on that heater cover is leaking but I haven't had time to tear it apart, it seldom leaks when I'm using the A/C but I do see the water outside so I know the drain is open.

9. Things are going pretty good. The Burb is sitting now cuz I want a blazer and I'm not soaking anymore money into something I don't want anymore. I may being headed off to Korea for a year come next May unless I can get my orders changed !!