Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C conversion help...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nc87k5, May 25, 2004.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I know, use the search, but i've been trying and everything but what I need comes up. give me some pointers to make my system cool the best or find the post for me, can't seem to locate it. now I've got R12 and my mechanic told me I need a new compressor since it's leaking some and might as well do the conversion. Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I think I found what I needed. any suggestions other than what I found would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Keep the r-12, r134 sucks.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep the r-12, r134 sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed, I have had bad luck with R134A. I ran a substitute called FREEZE12 and it does not contain any flammable ingredients, the stuff works well, almost as good as R12 and better than 134 IMHO. Still, R12 is the best, I noticed a difference when I put true R12 in my system.

6. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

FREEZE 12, is it cheaper than R12?

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yes, but Freeze 12 is crap. tears up the seals in your system, and does no good things to the internal parts of the AC system if i remember correctly. it has an application which it was specifically designed for, and although i cannot recall what it is exactly, it is NOT an automotive refrigerant, although it is marketed as one. steer clear of it if at all possible. yes, it is EPA approved, but all that that means is that it wont hurt the environment when it tears your $h!t up and leaks out. it is actually a blended refrigerant, which is said to be compatible with R12 and R134A, but when the system needs recharged again getting all that crap out is the problem. get the 134A conversion kit, and have it professionally installed. it will make things much easier on you, and whoever works on the vehicle the next time it needs to be worked on.