Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C & defrost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, May 14, 2004.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

why does the ac pump activate when you turn on the defrost? The problem with that is I have a flexilite electric fan with the ac reley. So when the pump turns on so do the fans and slows the warm up? Anyone have a solution for me?

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The AC comes on because it helps pull the moisture out of the air, wich causes the windows to fog up. I think the easiest way would be to put a switch on the fan so you can manually turn it off when it's not needed during the winter.

3. johnc

johnc Registered Member

Can't you wire it to the temp gauge some how so it will be automatic????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

run a toggle switch so you can manually turn off the fans /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought it was so the A/C got cycled during the winter time. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I can't see how it would help make the air dryer on my later model rig because the evap and heater core are seperated. IIRC. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The air blows across the a/c coil, which is cool, causing moisture in the air to condense on it. Then the air blows across the heater coil, heating it up. Running the a/c makes the defroster work a LOT better than without it.

Electric fans need to be wired to come on with the a/c so that the pressure in the system doesn't get out of whack. Running the a/c with no airflow across the condensor is not a good thing to do.

7. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

OH! thanks maybe I wont do that then? So I am back where I started lmao /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i agree on not overriding the fans on the radiator/condenser. heat and pressure gets WAY out of whack doing it. think about it, mechanical fans work fine and they are on....