Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Delete Bracket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Jul 15, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me what this is or maybe what it does? I'm new to this fancy A/C stuff. This sounds like it is an aftermarket part and not a GM part.

-Chris

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If your engine is not serpentine , you can just remove . If your 85 is anything close to my 83 , your A/C belt just goes around evrything else , but it can be removed and not even bother anything else . They run the A/C belt around evrything else as a redundant backup. Your smog/alt/ps/fan will still function with the other belts . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's the PS bracket for non-A/C trucks. On A/C trucks the the A/C bracket is part of the PS bracket. If you take out your A/C the delete bracket will clean up the engine compartment a little bit, but it is not neccesary. I believe the A/C bracket also bolts to the manifold but I can't remember... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, the AC bracket and the power steering bracket both bolt to the exhaust manifold. They use the first 3 manifold bolts. I just put headers on my K20 and had to remove the compressor because it wouldn't mount up anymore.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your is a 79 with the long compressor right ? The newer compressor only uses the first two bolts on manifold. I have to look at mine , but I believe you can remove the compressor and the upper brackets and probably still run the lower bracket and keep the p/s pump . I am going to look at mine tonight to refresh my memory /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. ugly_blazer

Ya, part of the front lower AC bracket is still used to mount the p/s pump.

7. exrider

exrider Registered Member

On my 78 I have the long A/C comp. but it is not hooked up. When I had the engine rebuilt and put headers on it they said that they would have to manufacture a bracket. I opted out, even though I am in AZ, I can do without. In the end I am just going to remove the whole unit anyway.

8. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I don't know, I think I need to look at some pictures in my manual.

9. ugly_blazer

I bought my headers from Advanced Auto Parts, the computer gave a part number for the A/C bracket that you need. Summit or Jegs may have it also.