Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Delete

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by john39671, Nov 2, 2004.

1. john39671

john39671 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever made or bought a box that would eliminate the current A/C box? I want to put a BBC in my 81 2WD SWB but I dont want to have to deal with the hurkey a/c box whenever the plugs need changed or anything else needs done. It would also make the engine compartment look better.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I agree with it looking better, but my ac box doesnt interfere with changing plugs on my bbc, even w/ headers. Honestly, the hardest plugs for me are #5 & #7.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

might want to try vintage air not shure how expinsive they are, but they do hotrod stuff, small looks good, if i had the money id replace the stuff in my truck with their stuff /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Are you still trying to keep the heater but loose the giant AC box from the firewall? Or are you trying to block it all off?

I am currently in the process of making a box to replace the AC portion of the box in the engine bay and retain the heater. It should make the engine bay more open on the passenger side and give you better room to work. The AC didn't work in my truck and when I went to TPI I decided that I didn't want to mess with any of the AC stuff so I cut if off the box on the firewall and removed all the components. I still want to have heat for winters though since I am going to be moving to Colorado again sometime.

Harley

5. john39671

john39671 1/2 ton status

Hoss I want to do the same think. I thought about having a local sheet metal shop make a box but Im affraid to ask for a price. Just thought someone here had done something like this before.
    I bought one off of ebay for my 72 elcamino but havent been able to find one for my truck.

6. Hossbaby50

Give me a PM and we can talk a little more in detail about what I have if you are interested in a box and I can explain to you what I have made for my truck.

Harley

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Why take this to PMs? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Dont you think the rest of us would be interested also? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Give me a PM and we can talk a little more in detail about what I have if you are interested in a box and I can explain to you what I have made for my truck.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i just delete my ac.

i hated the space it took up too.

the easyest way to do it is to find an junker at the yard and take both outside and under dash boxes, the controls. and then sawzs all the firewall around the box (make it big)

then fit it ot your truck. that way all you have to do is cut a hle for the air and the firewall will cover everything elce up.

ill takes pics today and post them after work.

9. Hossbaby50

I say take it to PM's because Steve doesn't like people pimping there products in open forum. I do have permission from him to ask questions about the box I make but I am not ready to ask the question and see if there is a demand yet.

I am waiting to get it installed on my truck before I ask about demand. I want to make sure everything works out right. A prototype has been sent to a good friend of mine to test on his truck too. If you are interested you can PM me also. Anyone can, feel free. I will answer any questions I can about it.

I a week or so I will probably be doing a post to see if there is any interest in a product like that.

Harley

10. four_by_ken

Oh, didnt know it was a product or anything like that.
    Send over some info my way please.

11. Hossbaby50

Right now it is just a prototype that I made for my truck and a friends. If there is interest it could become something I sell.

Harley

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok heres my fire wall with the box and firewall from the sad sad donor truck.

[​IMG]

man i need to clean in there /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. four_by_ken

This is what I think I will do over the winter.