Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C eliminator adaptor, or something equivalent...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Mar 9, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I have a major belt issue. I had A/C now I dont, and I dont have the compressor and I dont want a junkyard one because it'll probably freeze on me. Do they have an adaptor kit, I cant see how to get the belt on correctly using the current tensionor set up. How are the trucks without A/C set up? Thanks again.

*****EDIT*****

If you eliminated your A/C on your truck and you have a tensioner and idler pully setup you can run a belt by doing this:

Goto Napa and purchase NAPA Part # 209751 and use the stock bolt and bushings. This makes the idler a ribbed idler.

Then you find a 6-ribbed belt that is about 1,930 mms. I recommend sliding the belt on over the smooth water pump pulley, its not exactly easy and takes two people. Make sure you check the tension, its when you can only turn the belt 90 degrees.

2. bigburban383

Re: A/C eliminator adaptor, or something equivolent...

How are the belts routed on a non-AC truck, or is there no such thing?

3. bigburban383

How do you route the belts if you take the A/C compressor off? Sorry, i'm just stressin about this.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

serpentine?

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You need an A/C delete pulley, they simply bolt in in place of the stock compressor and act as another idler pulley on the serpentine belt setup.

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Trucks with serpentine that did not have a/c just had a dummy pulley bolted in place of the compressor. It used to be pretty hard to find in the boneyards but now there is an easy way to get one.

GM Perfomance parts released the Serpentine Belt kits last year that are Identical to the setup on the late TBI trucks (pre Vortec). They include the a/c compressor as part of the kit but have the optional delete pulley available too.

Just remove the compressor and bolt the dummy pulley back in. same size belt and all.

7. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    Trucks with serpentine that did not have a/c just had a dummy pulley bolted in place of the compressor. It used to be pretty hard to find in the boneyards but now there is an easy way to get one.

GM Perfomance parts released the Serpentine Belt kits last year that are Identical to the setup on the late TBI trucks (pre Vortec). They include the a/c compressor as part of the kit but have the optional delete pulley available too.

Just remove the compressor and bolt the dummy pulley back in. same size belt and all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw those kits, although they run $500 + dollars /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I guess i'll call some chevy dealers and see if they even sell those delete pulleys.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I forgot I had a broken one in the garage out of the serpentine belt kit we put on my dad's truck. It has a part# on it and the number is 10055890, any GM dealer should be able to get it for you.

9. bigburban383

I kinda n***er rigged the system. I went to Napa and got a ribbed idler pulley, and got a belt to fit. It was a beeotch getting the belt on since the tensioner has only one tension setting, but the belt has perfect tension...right now atleast. Its definatly a temporary fix. Ill get you guys part numbers and through them in this post so people can search for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif