Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C evaporator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mdevlin, Mar 23, 2004.

1. mdevlin

mdevlin Registered Member

my K5 blazer at some point in its existance before I owned it had A/C. The previous owner ripped all that out, but on the firewall on the passenger side is this big black box. I think it is the A/C evaporator (but I probably made that up) it has 2 metal pipes with fittings on the end of them sticking out of it, like something was at one time connected to it.

What I would like to know is, since I don't have A/C now, and don't plan to install it, can that be removed? or is it tied into the heater core and unbolting it from the firewall (which it looks like you can) will dump coolant everywhere.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They are separate peices. Heater core carries coolant and evaporator is empty now. Do you use the heater? If so you could get a non a/c black box which is thinner. Or make something if you have skills. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. mdevlin

mdevlin Registered Member

I do plan on using the heater, but the truck wont be on the road until the very beginning of spring at the earliest, so I wont have to worry about it for a couple months, but it would be nice to have working. So your saying to replace the A/C evaporator with an external heater core box instead?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Something along those lines. You need something to hold the blower fan right? You could probably pirate those of a junked truck. Work trucks get beat on and are all over yards I'd assume. Most had heater only. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure you can just get the entire heating assembly from a non A/C truck and bolt it up. You might need to make a plate to cover up some of the firewall where the A/C once was but I'm not 100% sure. I'm thinking of junking my A/C soon since it doesn't work anyways and I'll be using this idea to keep my heat.

Where in Mass. are you anyways?