Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C fan not blowing hard enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jul 16, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

The fan in the K5 does not blow the air out hard enough, is there a different fan that can be installed ie. from another type of vehicle that will work better? I checked all the ducts and the are in place but aren't sealed very well. I probably am losing some pressure form that. Any tips on what some of you huys have done would be appreciated.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I split open the housing in the engine compartment , cleaned the evaporator coils , lots , and I mean lots of dirt came out . This improved my airflow through the evaporator tenfold . Made all the difference in the world . My big greenhouse of a truck feels good with the A/C on . Be careful when you do it . You can brush it and vacuum/compressed air it . Or you can buy a spray on cleaner that will evaporate at any A/C or appliance parts store . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

AC fans are the most "powerful" out there.

There might be different fan motor part numbers out there, but if anything, on the AC/HD fan setups, its most likely the difference in where the cooling vent hole is drilled.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I split open the housing in the engine compartment , cleaned the evaporator coils , lots , and I mean lots of dirt came out . This improved my airflow through the evaporator tenfold . Made all the difference in the world . My big greenhouse of a truck feels good with the A/C on . Be careful when you do it . You can brush it and vacuum/compressed air it . Or you can buy a spray on cleaner that will evaporate at any A/C or appliance parts store . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is basically all you can do without changing anything. I put a brand new evap in mine and I got a considerable amount of airflow increase after that.

5. stallion85

Where and how do I go about doing that? You are referring to the black box below the heater coil hose?

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

If you have a non A/C vehicle the fan does not perform very well. Purchase a new fan motor for an A/C equiped vehicle they work much better.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. stallion85

I have a/c /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's funny how many people assume my truck doesn't /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif They don't appreciate older trucks like we do /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif