Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C freon and condensor comparison

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dunc03, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

This is a good article on Freon and condensor comparison in a controlled test. Actually showed r-134a to out perform r12 in the tests. Check out the results they are pretty interesting and might help you make a better decision win selecting a freon or condenser type.

http://www.ackits.com/testresults/alttest.pdf

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

For what its worth , I finally had my original hose give up .... NO MORE R12:(

Anyway , I brought r414 home from work , made by Whirlpool . No conversion neccessary . Drops right in . Called Hot Shot in the aftermarket .

Anyway , no science on my part , just a thermometer . On the advice of a technician friend of mine who works on hundreds of r12 fridges , I charged mine until I had 35 on the low side . At 105 degrees outside , next to my garage with no airflow except engine fan , I get 55 degrees vent temp as I also do in traffic over 105 degrees outside . If I am driving , it gets down in the 40's , which feels fine . My house only puts out 44 degree air :D

The worst part is I have to use a friends account to buy it , as you need a license where I work to buy anything .

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I haven't put a thermometer to te vents, but the 134 does not get nearly as cold in mine as the R12

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All the more reason its never going into my "classic" rides , not when I can take r414 home from work ;)

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I used 134 and went back to 12. At cruising speed I couldn't tell all that much difference but in town/traffic/stoplights/etc. the 134 was not nearly as cool as the 12.

6. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I ahve the same problem with 134. I was told by a friend/industrial AC installer that I should look for a condenser off of a later model truck with 134 that it would make a big difference because the coil was made different.

My rear air on the other hand has an expansion valve on it and holy crap it gets cold it will allmost cool the whole Burban by itself. LOL It all has to do with maintaining the pressure of the freon.

7. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I've converted my 72 K5 to a completely new 134 system.

I addition to that, I already had installed electric fans.
    After the conversion, I rewired my single front pusher to come on when the A/C compressor is engaged.

In my DD that has R134 originally, I noticed that it isn't very cold while stationary, but was great when moving.

Since I converted to electric fans in it, I also hooked up and A/C override to force the fans on when the A/C is engaged.

The extra airflow over the condensor really makes a difference.

8. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I have been considering doing a pusher. I have a dumb question? How did you fit it in behind the grill?