Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A-C GURUS NEEDED.COMPRESSOR QUESTION?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Jul 15, 2002.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

After replacing the ac belt on my 88 k-5 5.7 .I noticed that when I turn the ac on the compressor does'nt engage.I bought the 134-a retrofit kit but I dont want to charge it if the compressor is bad. Should the compressor engage upon turning the swith on? Or does the system have to be charged up for it to engage?? I also checked all fuses and connections and all seems good that I can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

2. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

there is a pressure switch that will not allow the compressor to come on with a low amount of Freon, or if there is no freon in it after that put your can of R-134 Alpha Oil charge in then a 12 oz can of freon in, and if it doesn't fire up and you have 12 volts going to compressor i would say that the compressor is shot, i think there is a way to Ohm it out to find out can't remember on a auto system .but if it does engauge the clutch in the compressor continue to charge system , on a average most system take 3 "12 oz" cans of 134A and a 12oz oil charge you should be able to feel the accumulator and it will start to get colder, "if ya got any ?'s on charging the system lemme know" i'll try my best to help ya out.

Ck1500
    Marc

3. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Here's what to do. Start the engine and turn the ac on. Unplug the electrical connector at the reciever dryer (the silver canister) and stick a paper clip between the 2 terminals as a jumper. It should turn on the compressor.

4. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Yep the paper clip worked .I charged it up and she's finally got ac.thanks for the tip ..............