Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C & headers, anybody done this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mlb79, Apr 22, 2002.

1. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

I just installed a set of flowtech afterburner headers on an 81 3/4 ton 4x4. What a pain, and the instructions say use original factory bracket for the A/C, this in impossible without cutting the factory bracket as far as I can tell.

Has anyone done this on a truck with the short A/C compressor. Pictures would be great. These things were the worst set of headers I have ever installed and I've done a few. Anybody with headers and A/C please help!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Don't have any pics, but my 85 had Hedmans on it and there was no trouble with the A/C at all.

3. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Check out the bottom of my web page. There is a link to some pics of the mods I made to my A/C bracket with my Hedman Headers. Let me know if you have any questions. I used a plasma cutter to make the initial cuts then I used a grinder to smooth it all out.

4. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

Thats what I thought! I had the bracket laid out so I could take it to work and torch it. I wanted somebody to verify what I thought before I butchered the bracket. Thanks for the replies!! The picture was perfect, exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

5. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

I'm putting mine on this afternoon, Dynomax headers. I know that these as well as Headman sell an additional part if you have A/C. I just put in a new longblock so everything is off my engine right now and should be relatively easy. I put the right side on last night and it just slipped in. I'll try to update you on my bracket situation tonight.

6. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i got the bracket too...can't really see what it would hook to on my a/c??? i just cut my existing bracket like everybody else and it worked great! im sending back the dynomax bracket and getting my money back.

7. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

The brackets I've seen that summit or Holley has appear to be for the long style compressors. I can see how that would work but I haven't seen anything for the short compressors. Cutting the factory bracket seems to be the best solution.

8. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I just received a set of Dynomax headers yesterday. I have the long-style AC compressor, so I think I need the pre-fabbed bracket. Anyone have experience with header install with the bigger compressor?