Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C - heater box removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thek5king, Apr 29, 2009.

1. thek5king

thek5king Newbie

I have removed all of the crap for A/C as I have realized I will never use it again (and it would most likely never work again).....I have removed the compressor, lines,heat exchanger, Etc. But I still have the fan/heater core, but I would like to remove that and only have the heater core and fan, as I live in Michigan...In theory couldnt I find an assembly off a truck that didnt come with A/C and use it and maybe block off the firewall hole (if it is bigger than the box)? Would anybody have one to sell by chance? Thanks for the help, Trent

2. toomany

toomany 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine was an AC truck to start with. The previous owner removed the "suitcase" and left the hole open. I made a box out of plexi glass to cover it. If you search around, you should find some more info. I know it's been discused before.

What part of Mi are you from?

[​IMG]

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, you make a plate and use the heater components off of a non-AC truck. You need everything including the heater control head.

Assuming you don't like to be cold, be on the lookout for the "heavy duty heater" option, which uses a vented motor. All non-ac/non-HD setups use a motor without a vent hole. (the vent hole of that style motor is visible in the picture above, it's pointing towards the drivers side of the vehicle).

Otherwise, the "high" fan setting in the base heater setup is the same as "mid" speed with AC.

4. jt512

jt512 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There used to be a guy on evilbay that sold a "ac delete" panel/box for our trucks but I had looked for him recently and he is no longer a user.

I personally have ditched ALL the hvac stuff in my K5 and am going to be running a Summit "mojave style" heater. There are alot of guys using them, all with nothing but good stuff to say. The nice thing is they are tiny 6.5"high 9.5"deep 9.5" wide and from what everyone is saying they work great.

5. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status

I cut the evaporator out and fiberglassed my box.

heater box.jpg

6. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

7. thek5king

thek5king Newbie

Thanks for the link but thats too rich for my blood, I think I'll try to make my own, now I have all summer so maybe I'll get something rigged..
    -------------------
    1987 Chevy K5 Silverado 350/700R4/208/10 bolts w/3.42 richmond gears
    5" lift, Tube Bumpers, headers, dual Flowmaster 40's, throttle body spacer, all A/C **** removed, soon to have grille and lights off a 1991 suburban
    35" boggers

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

9. StevoandaRedK5

StevoandaRedK5 1/2 ton status

i made a cardboard template and then cut and bent a sheet of thin gauge sheetmetal for a new cover. used sheetmetal screws to secure it to the firewall, and duct tape to seal it :D. I don't have any pics of it on the web, i'd have to snap some when I get home.

10. livid4dirt

livid4dirt 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok figured out the Photo thing. Anyway got my A/C box modified and ready to install:D. Got my layout transfered around the box, then after a few cuts:hack: and grinder:grind: work i attached the sheat metal with screws and caulked the surfaces from the inside. A little paint and a sticker or two.................DONE!

100_1664.jpg

11. livid4dirt

livid4dirt 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Got my re-vamped A/C Box installed, sure makes for more room. Also cleaning up the wiring removing things i dont need, rig used to have a 6.2 in her but that was junk so i dropped in a well built small block. Been a two year project working out of town coming home on weekends make it tuff to wrench all the time. But now i have a little time off, and should have her running in a couple days!:waytogo:

100_1676.jpg

100_1677.jpg

100_1674.jpg

100_1678.jpg