Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C in an 84

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Broke84, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Broke84

Broke84 Registered Member

Not really that educated in the air conditioning dept. I'll tell you what the P.O. gave me and hopefully you guys can help. It's an 84 custom deluxe w/ a 350 that was put in a couple of owners ago. I believe it originally had A/C as it has the controls, but it also has the kick panel vents. Didn't the vents only come on non-A/C trucks? Anyway, the A/C hoses are connected, but it's completely off the block, hanging by zip ties. The P.O. said he thinks it's running R-12, but not sure. I just want it to work, this heat sucks. What's the best way to do this? Re-fill w/ R-12 or convert to 134a? Also, I assume he bought the belt for a non-A/C Blazer, so I'd have to just bolt the A/C in and get the correct belt right? Thanks in advance, the heat is getting bad.
    Ken

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all stock 84 will be r-12. retro fit to 134 is best and will cost less in the long run. but best leave this to the pros as you dont know who or what has been done to the system. might need more parts. first is needs vac test to see if leaks.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Kick panel vent on the drivers side is dead giveaway of non-AC truck.

AC trucks only have passenger side "vent".

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you want come down to North Carolina and you can have my entire AC system from my 89

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unless you know what you are doing, take it to a shop. You wil spend more in the long run on parts/tools/freon/frustration than it will cost at a shop. I have been fighting mine for months. :doah:

6. Broke84

Well, like I said, I know very little about A/C systems. Where it's located on the block, I can identify a compressor, how to re-charge, how to turn it on, that's about it. Maybe I'm better off taking it in. I think I'll get someone to look at it first and get an idea of how much work needs to be done. Doesn't help that I got very little information about it's history either.
    Sapper - if I need a whole new system, I may take you up on that. Where in NC and how much? Thanks again. Luckily I've got the ricer (gas mileage purposes only!) as a daily driver with A/C, but it's getting sold soon, so I've got to get this fixed.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hum ive never noticed that just a/c trucks dont have driver side kick vent,

hmm

are sure that ALL a/c trucks didnt get one ?

hmm..

im gonna start looking on trucks now, starting with the 81 out here thats a factory a/c truck,,

hmm.

interesting..

if you still have oyur SPID label in glovebox and if its factory a/c then RPO code C60 will be listed on it

if not then its not an a/c truck and it will be fun modifying metal of your firewall to accept a C60 system, let alone other modifications needed.

8. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

:confused:
    I wonder what the bid deal with ac is an way ???? It seems that we are able to fix any other thing on the truck ...Why not the AC ?? All the is is some iol and R-134, right ??
    It might be a learning curve thingy ?I would love to master it so I can say, been there done that !!!!
    I just bought a set of gages the other day and couldnt get the canister to fill . I guess the set of gagues are meant to fill from a large canister, 5lbs ?
    Anyway , I found a cool site from my guages , www.id-usa.com Check it out !!

9. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

here is what a non ac firewall looks like ... the AC firewall has a large rectangular hole where the two heater core coolant lines are

nonacfirewall.JPG

10. az84chevy

az84chevy Registered Member

You can also run freeze 12 which is a safer equivelant to r12. i'm running it in my truck now and it very cold.

11. Broke84

Never heard of freeze 12, how hard is it to retrofit? And is it a DIY thing or do I have to take it in?

12. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck with freeze 12, no retro fit or anything just filler up!!
    But i let a shop do it....

13. az84chevy

az84chevy Registered Member

MY dad has a license to buy the stuff and we did it ourselves, it's not hard just have to have the right stuff.

14. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

Freeze 12 is not worth the headache. I is a blent on r134 and another chemical. If you use it, no one in the future will evacuate the system because a blend will contaminate there recovery machine. They will only do it if they recover into a seperate tank and you pay the disposal. The only trick to A/C is to flush everything. The system must be clean and without leaks. Then add oil and the correct amount of freon and anyone can do it.