Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C in AZ: Necessity or Not???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rigdonhome, Aug 8, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

Me again with more AZ questions... We are getting pretty close to moving to AZ and I am wondering whether to sell my K5 here and buy another one once we get there... I live in the Midwest and rust-free older vehicles (like more than 10 years old...) are all but non-existant. I found one locally that has some minor surface rust but for a 1977 model it's in exceptional condition. However, it does NOT have Air Conditioning... never had it so it can't be 'fixed' either.

I have standing offers that will double what I spent on the truck... but even still I'm not sure I'll find another one in overall good condition (body and mechanicals are all great on this truck...) for the cash I'd end up with.

So I'm wondering if I should sell it here since it will probably be worth more in its 'mostly rust free' condition and the A/C isn't as much of an issue here. Or can I survive in AZ without A/C???

Sal

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am in NV I have A/C, but I dont use it too often. My trip to work is only 10 miles so usually I'm ok. If you are gonna do much traveling in the K5 it is nice to have. I use it when it gets around 110 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif even with the top off it's just nice to have cold air blow on you.

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

You will be labeled a fool if you do not have AC. In addition, it is almost impossible to get around town without it. I use mine year round. In the summer you will use it whenever you drive. It could be 3 in the morning and it will be on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since you have young kids I would say it is a must.

How much cash will you have to purchase a new truck with AC? Rust free is easy down here. Let me know what you expect for your $ and I'll tell you if that is reasonable for this area. i think you will be surprised at the deals you can get down here and they are not too hard to find.

Good luck, again

4. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You will be labeled a fool if you do not have AC. In addition, it is almost impossible to get around town without it. I use mine year round. In the summer you will use it whenever you drive. It could be 3 in the morning and it will be on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since you have young kids I would say it is a must.

How much cash will you have to purchase a new truck with AC? Rust free is easy down here. Let me know what you expect for your $ and I'll tell you if that is reasonable for this area. i think you will be surprised at the deals you can get down here and they are not too hard to find.

Good luck, again

[/ QUOTE ]

My truck has a nice-looking body and the motor/trans have both been rebuilt. It runs good and doesn't *need* anything mechanically. (Could use ton axles and more lift of course, but I get by...) I have a couple of standing offers in the $3000 range.

The K5 is pretty much a spare/work/recreation vehicle, so the kids don't have to ride in it. They have dual A/C in the van... I would be driving the K5 to work every day though myself...

So can I get something out there for $3K that has good mechanicals and tires??? I don't care much about year or mileage as I do about *real* mechanical condition. (If that makes sense?)

Thanks!
    Sal

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Call me a fool, but I haven't had AC in my truck in 4 years. I don't really mind the heat when driving. I have just learned to carry a big glass of water around with me. No biggy in my opinion.

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

for three grand you can easily find a nice k5 here, go on to clasicautotrader and enter zip 85296 to get an idea.

Marv_springer drives his around everyday to work, then evn when he can use ac in the other ride, he still chooses the blazer when it is 109 here

7. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    Call me a fool,

[/ QUOTE ]

Fool........ /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    can I survive in AZ without A/C???

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on where in AZ....

Up North, A/C is rolling down the windows /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

there is a saying that goes like this, if you got it, flaunt it. yea if you like being comfortable USE the A\C i recently fixed mine (recharged with R-134a from R-12) and boy howdy, that sumbitch gets cool after a hard day of custodaial trails i really like to slither into my truck start it and jam on that A\C, and my truck is a shortbed 4x4 custom delux /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, which really shouldnt have A\C from the factory, but the PO\original owner orderd it that way, only thing is that with it on it sucks on city driving and the fact that i have sucky gears in the diffs, but it will stay that way so when i go fast my engine is wailing, but granny helps with starting out i just feel like a massive unloaded big rig slaming it all the way from grannny to 3rd gear. but in all id say Find a BLazer with A\C and Screw Gas miliage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

depends on what part of az u are in.. im in tucson and never use my ac. well maybe cuz it doesnt work (just need to charge it, being lazy) but i had my top off all summer and it was fine, or just roll down the windows!