Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C not cooling, need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jkwoffroad, Apr 19, 2006.

1. jkwoffroad

jkwoffroad Registered Member

My A/C on my 97 Chevy Z71 is not cooling like it used to. I've checked the refrigerant pressures and they seem to be good. I blows kinda cold air but not as cold as I hink it should. We had a 90 degree day the other day and I had to run on hi to stay cool. I replaced the compressor a few years ago and flushed the system them. I also remember replacing a small screen filter where the line entered the condenser coil - wondered if maybe this is stopped up - if I didn't get the system completly flushed??? I also wondered if maybe the evaporator coil could be dirty, acting like insulation on the fins keeping it from cooling??? Just trying to get some advice before it gets really hot.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Does your compressor cycle on/off at a normal rate or faster than usual?

3. jkwoffroad

jkwoffroad Registered Member

It stays on at what I would consider is notmal. It doesn't go on and off every few seconds like I think it would if it was low.

4. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Check the dryer or other part of A/C system I cant actually remember what its called.

My dads truck is a 97 as well and the A/C is really crappy right now, even after a new compressor was put in. I was told by a mechanic to have dryer cleaned out or put new one.

5. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Put some dye in it and check for leaks.