Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C not getting cold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frank, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Frank

Frank Registered Member

My A/C on my 87 K-5 Blazer doesn't get cold. The vent fan does work and there are no blown fuses.
    When I switch the A/C on I don't hear the compressor kick in.
    Would appreciate any tips, Thank!

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sounds like it MIGHT be the refrigerant level is low. It requires a certain amount of head pressure before the compressor will kick on, if it is low, the safety won't allow it to cycle. Could also be a myriad of other things..........lol. But usually if it worked "last year" it just needs recharged.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Not enough r12 in the system.

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Check to see that the clutch is actually engaging the pulley to let the belt spool the compressor and that the connector to it is hooked up. If the compressor engages, you're low on freon. If the compressor does not engage, you get to chase wires...oh what fun! There might also be a relay controlling the voltage to the compressor when it's switched on that went south. Good luck!

- Alan

'91 V2500 Suburban Silverado
    '82 K10 Suburban Silverado (FOR SALE!)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk...that will teach you to keep your mouth shut!