Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a.c. not working

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Aug 8, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i have an 83 gmc jimmy and my a.c. isnt working, i know some about home air conditioners becuase i worked as a hand for an a.c. company this summer. my truck was parked for a few months while body work was being done and while it was being painted, the a.c. was not being used, before this it was working fine. i recently installed a cd player and ran a wire from the fuse box, from a fuse that was only on when the key was on. but i dont think that, that is the reason cuase the fuse is back in the hole all the way after i rapped a stripped wire around it. i am pretty sure that the compressor isnt coming on because i cant hear it come on, but the fan that blows air is running. do yall think that it could be a bad in-line hi-pressure switch. i dont think that the compressor is bad cuase it doesnt even try to come on, or it doesnt make any funny noises. well thats just what i know from home a.c.'s. but if it is bad, itll just have to stay that way.
    thanx

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If your compressor isn't engaging, chances are your compressor clutch needs to be replaced. Depending on the model, the part costs between $55-$65, and can be installed without taking off the compressor.

The other possibility is that you're low on refrigerant. Once the system gets below a certain pressure, the compressor won't engage. I assume that's the hi-pressure switch you're referring to.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Could just be low on freon, maybe all that sitting around dried up a seal. Try shorting out the switch on the accumulator, if the freon is low the system wont operate. By shorting it out, it will think eveything is ok. Or check under the dash and see if the flapper is working correctly. It took me about a month to figure out mine wasnt connected! What a happy day THAT was.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. balzer

balzer Registered Member

what do you mean by flapper? if you are talking about the thing that is mounted inside the passenger side kick panel, it might not be put back right, being that i just gutted my interior and put it all back , but it is blowing air, so i dont think that, that is it.
    thanx

5. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i jumped the high/low cut off switch on the drier, and the compressor ran, but it wouldnt cool, so i am pretty sure that it is low on freon from sitting for about 6 months.
    thanx

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It would be in your best interest to get your system recharged as soon as possible, as the R12 refrigerant in your system is getting harder and harder to come across.

The other option is to update to R134a, but that involves upgrading your hoses and changing the dryer. The bonus is that R134a costs around $6 a pound, as opposed to $65-75 a pound for R12. Up here in Canada, R12 is banned in every province except Alberta, and can't be LEGALLY used to recharge A/C systems anymore. I imagine that there are states in the US that have similar legislation.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

That happened to mine and I got the blower motor and fan switch replace and it works now.

90K5

8. balzer

balzer Registered Member

when i bought my truck it had just had the whole a/c replace with the new r-134a type, i put a couple a cans of r-134a and a can of oil and a can of leak stop and leak detect in and now it works like a charm. its really wierd when it turns out to be the simplest thing you could think of