Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C oil and fittings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer_Boy, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Quick questions. How many ounces of oil would an old A/C setup take (1983). It hadn't work for I don't know how many years. Got some newer hoses, had the system evacuated, and charged with 134a. Works awesome and want to know how much oil I should add in there to keep it that way. Where does the retrofit fitting go (r-134 style fitting), on the drier (accumulator)? Also, advance autoparts has some additive thats supposed to make 134 systems cooler, is it good, or a joke?

2. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

If you are using the R4 compressor, you need to add 8oz. of oil to the system if is completely empty of oil. The R134a fittings are used on both the accumutator and the liquid line. The smaller fitting with the bigger inner hole goes on the accumulator. As far as the additive, some salesman tried selling our shop some stuff claiming to do the same thing, but upon his demo it didn't make a difference. To make the system cool great you need to use an aux.fan in front of the condensor, and I would suggest using a self adjusting orfice tube filter. I did these to my '89 K5 and my system cools just as well if not better than it did with R12. It puts out 40-45 degrees at the drivers vent on a 90-100 degree day at idle. I have my fan running off a relay thats driven by a Mercedes high pressure switch that I installed in the high side line at the condensor. I will also suggest using an adjustable low pressure switch on the accumulator so you can keep the compressor from cycling on and off too much at cruising speeds.

3. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

You said it was charged already. If thats the case it needs to be evacuated again to add oil if the compressor is empty.The oil should have been put in to the compressor before charging the system. All compressors are shipped dry.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Got it done! I really would have liked to get a new compressor and accumulator, but money is in short order. I got it evacuated and it held the vacuum. A few days can make a difference, because I know what I should have done for a better conversion. I got some retro-fit fittings and a can of tune-up style stuff from advanced auto. It has some cleaner, polyol ester oil (compatible w/ R-12 mineral oil), and a pinch of r-134a. I am very impressed with that little can. Its now rather uncomfortable to keep your hand on the low side line because of the extreme cold. Very cold in the cab too. Hell, if it blows up on me, I'm not out anything because the parts were free.

5. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

Glad to hear it to hear it all worked out for you. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif The best thing is that coolness didn't cost anything. If it lets you down in the future e-mail me and I'll give you some suggestions on setting it up better.