Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Problem...need help ASAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, May 27, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

87k5. When I turn on my A/C on Max and high the clutch will engage with the compressor but only for about 3 seconds and then disengage then engage again then disengage over and over. Need some help quick being that its going to be over 100 this weekend and I will have the kids in the Truck. Thanks for any help

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

your low on r12 you need it topped off.You can by pass the switch (its on the dryer left side)but thats only a temp situation after a while it'll burn the pump. Does it cool well ?If it does cool it it only needs a .5lb maybeshould cost about 50$ but watch where you take it some locations will test it than tell you it needs parts after its drained completely than they wont refill it,so watch out.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I can relate to your problem. I live in Tucson and its sposed to be 109 at least, look into a r134 conversion. Its fairly reasonable and it doesnt take a whole lot of effort.

4. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Try checking if there is a high pressure switch. This should be after the compressor. I doubt if this would cause it but check it anyway (just disconnect it). I also had this problem before but it ended up being the compressor being bad suction pressure of the compressor was too high......

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps my K5 alive.

5. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Coopertwpk is probably right, although I had this same symptom last summer and it turned out to be a bad pressure control switch. It's located on top of your accumulator. You can replace it without loosing any r12 because there's a schraeder valve under it. Most auto stores stock the switch - I think it was less than $15. Good luck.