Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crroy71, Jun 24, 2002.

1. crroy71

crroy71 Registered Member

Maybe someone here can help with a problem, I just bought a 1986 k-5, and when I turn the a/c switch on the panel to the off position, the compressor keeps cycling on and off just like if I was still running the a/c.
    I am thinking it may be the switch on the panel, but the blower shuts off, it does not blow any air, but the compressor is still cycling.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

mine does the exact same thing ,will fix it when i get the doors and back window back on. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Anyone else know how to fix this as its rahter annoying sounding at idle.

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow thats weird mine does the same thing hope someone knows the problem if there is one....

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

are we talking about the fan motor switch being "off" or the actual heater/A/C function switch? if the fan motor switch is off most blowers will not turn completely off, they run on a very low speed. if the heater control is in an A/C or defrost position the compressor will run.
    If the heater/ A/C switch is off(slid all the way to the left), everything should shut-off. if it still cycles on and off the switch in the control panel probably needs replaced.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is most likely caused by the panel switch. The little mode selector lever is actually moving three switches.
    1) A slider that turns the blower motor on for any of the positions except off
    2) a slider that engages the A/C system whenever you are in any position except "Off", "Vent" and "Heater".
    3) A vacuum switch that switches the different flappers and vents to direct the airflow according to the mode selected.

It is likely the #2 portion is messed up. Mine used to do A/C on the "Vent" setting. I took the switch apart and could see where there was plastic missing from above the metal track for that Position. I built that spot back up with some plastic epoxy and ever since then it has worked properly.

You might consider putting a toggle switch somewhere that breaks the green wire so that A/C can be manually disabled. I have thought about this even though mine works correctly so that I can use the Bi-level and defrost settings without turning on the A/C if I want to.

6. crroy71

crroy71 Registered Member

Blue85, that's a good idea. The guy I bought it from could not get the windshield washer to come on with the blinker mounted controller, so he put in a toggle switch to turn on the washer. I have that fixed, and this would be ideal to put the A/C on this switch!
    Anyone know where I can get replacement vents for my dash. All of the little flaps are gone in a couple of mine.
    Thanks

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The only places that come to mind are the local junkyard, the local GM dealer and LMC Truck