Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, May 26, 2006.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

When I got my truck a couple years ago the air would cycle on/off quickly.
    I had the system checked and re-charged and that lasted about 1 year before it started quick cycling again. Earlier there appeared to be something like oil or ?? leaking around the lines coming off the compressor. The compressor was pretty loud too when it operated. Sounded like my garage air compressor :crazy: . I recently changed the waterpump and had to move the compressor to r&r the belt. Now the air doesnt work at all. I assume it may have a leak at the compressor line and the pressure has leaked down too much although I didnt "hear" any leak when I moved the compressor.

Whats the options? Should I just r&r the compressor etc. or take it into a shop and let them figure it out?

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

oil is a good indicator of a leak

3. kd7kmp

kd7kmp Registered Member

The problem you are describing could have several causes. The refrigerant could be too low for the clutch to engage. If the refrigerant was low at one point then too little of the A/C oil could have circulated and that could cause your compressor to go bad. This could explain the sound your compressor was making. When you "moved" the compressor you may have forgotten to reconnect the coil wire. this would prevent the A/C from coming on as well.

It's actually quite normal for some seepage to occur around the fittings. But it should only be a very little bit. If it looks like a regular oil leak from a gasket or something then there is definately leak that needs diagnosis. If you don't know how to work on A/C then leave it to the pros. You will get better results.

Kevin

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Your hoses are leaking freon. Looks like it's time to replaced them. I would replace the hoses before you recharge the system again. The cycling on and off is due to a low charge. find and fix the leak.

Dan..

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ONe thing that I want to add, is that Refrigerant DOES NOT wear out. Its not like a set of tires that only good for XXX amount of usage. And if it is low THERE IS A LEAK!!!!

If your A/C is not working, and the Dudes at AutoZOne tell you "Oh yeah, your sytem is a little low, buy this can." Go have an A/C shop find and fix the problem. You will be happier in the end.

Sorry for the rant, but I see people in front of AutoZone everyday adding a can or 2 to their system everday.

Rob

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the inputs. I'll check to make sure I didnt forget to connect the compressor wire then take it in and have it looked at. Cost $300 to have it charged not quite 2 years ago. R-12 isnt cheap anymore. :crazy:

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Ya, that's why I ended up doing R134a conversion after I replaced the compressor. It was a lot cheaper and I could do it myself. Good luck

Dan..

8. shockline

shockline Registered Member

I just did my 84 AC. It was the same. We recharged the system about 2 months ago and it is still good to go. You can try a cheap can of leak detector and blue will show at the leak.
    I have found the best place for R12 is ebay, it is about 10 bucks a can or so. If you take it to the shop, you will pay too much.