Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C pulley removal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Oct 23, 2005.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On a late model ('91), how do you take the pulley and clutch off? My pulley bearing is shot.
    Thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You need a special tool. :( You remove the nut from the shaft and then thread the tool into the pulley. (There are threads in the outer edge of the hole). There's a center threaded shaft on the tool that presses against the compressor shaft and forces the pulley off of the compressor. Once you're that far, I've used a regular gear puller to remove the bearing from the compressor. Of course, then you need a second special tool that then presses the pulley back into place. :doah:

Here's the first kit that came up when I did a quick Goolge search for ya:
    http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/cpsctk1300a.html

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd probably just get a compressor if you can. If the hub bearing went out, there's usually a reason why. I don't know how many times I've replaced just a clutch at the customer's request just to have the compressor lock up.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks, yeah I saw those threads and figured that would be the way. Time to fab up a couple of tools then! I have got a spare compressor but it's getting real hard and expensive to get R12 over here now!

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

R12?? Ouch, guy! What's sad is that all the guys do at the shop is pull it out and put it back in....but charge you for new freon.