Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Pump Going Out??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, May 31, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

When I start up my blazer in the morning, I have been noticing that the clutch or whatever on the front of the a/c pump "clicks" on and off every 20 or 30 seconds. This is with the a/c and fan and everthing off on the dash. Is this normal? Dont really know what its doing when I start going cause I cant here it over the exhaust, etc. I'm thinking it is going out cause when I turn on the a/c after about 5 minutes it makes a loud "screaching" noise and I think it is coming from the pump. What do you guys/gals think is the problem with the both of these? Thanks

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Sounds like its low on freon (clicking) and the belt may need tigntened or replaced (squeaking).
    Brent

3. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I have a similar problem. It used to be that when I turned the A/C on, there was a large grinding noise coming from the pump and no cold air. So I though to myself Hmm, that can't be good. I've heard that the freon also helps circulate the lubricant/oil for the fan. I think mine is caused by little/no freon in the system, at least that's what I've heard from people (I'm not a A/C guru to say the least). And the weather is getting hot, so I think its time to get it fixed.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

But if it was low on freon would it still blow cold air. When I did run a/c it kicked @ss. Real cold. And the "screaching" noise isnt like belt squeak, its more like no lubricant squeaking.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I had an s-10 that did that and it still blew cold air. Got it recharged and it was fine. Hope this helps!

<font color=orange>hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?</font color=orange>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok. I had to go to the dealership with for my cousin, so I asked a mechanic I know there what he thought it was. You guys were right on track!! Thank you!! He said the clicking is from being low on freon and the 'screaching" I was hearing was a sign that it is too late to save it. He told me to go to Kragen (dealership=big$$$) and get the replacement clutch and bearing for the pump and that will fix that. Then let him know when I want to get the system charged and he'll hook me up! Having friends in the right places kick@ss. The bearing went bad from waiting to long to get it charged. And yes, even if low on freon, it will still blow cold air, but after a long while with it on it will start blowing warm air. Thanks everyone!!

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

That R-4 should not engage if the a/c selector switch is in the off position...unless your control assm is like mine and tempermental. Try and rotate the outside hub assm...with the rubber dampner on it....does the compressor spin smoothly with a little resistance? With an R-12 set-up leaks are usually easy to spot as they use mineral oil to lubricate the pistons inside the compressor....and it leaves a pretty easy trail to spot when they leak. Remove the belt and spin the clutch hub...is the bearing really toast? R-4's are known for there Death Rattle before they go south. Changing out the clutch hub and outer hub does require special tools....and make sure to remove the nut inside the outside hub before you apply pressure with the remover or you will destroy the compressor shaft and render it useless. Hint...if you have the tools....Autozone sells remans really cheap....around $60 bux...or they will sell you the clucth assm complete for about $100 bux...buy the reman comp and rob the parts....its cheaper that way.

Oh ya allmost forgot....K5's run the GM CCOT system....so if the system psi drops under approx 20 psi the Low psi switch on the accumulator will break power to the clutch.....this is called cycling....excessive cycling means you have a low charge...and the constant cycling is bad for the clutch....

If you put your own clutch on make sure you set the outer hub gap around 15k....25 and up means its time to replace as the increased distance makes it hard for the coil to hold the hub to the clutch!

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!