Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larryboz, Aug 18, 2005.

1. larryboz

larryboz Registered Member

I have had my K5 in the shop getting the A/C fixed on it and they replaced the drier, evaporator and compressor all were bad going into the shop which I knew. They fixed everything and converted it to R134. The problem I am having is it just does not cool down below 60 coming out of the vents. What should it get down to? My Grand Prix drops to 48 and my honda drops to 38 degrees. It also does not blow out that hard on Max with switch set to high. Any info would gladly be appreciated?

Larryboz

2. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

well its all different but if they replaced it, it should goto 40

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It could either be undercharged or overcharged. Either will result in low evap temps. :( It's tough to diagnose without some pressure gauge readings.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also the converted ones from r-12 to r-134a are about 85-90% of what r-12 was. but should get colder than that.

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

One question you should ax the shop is did they flush da system, did they replace the “O” tube and was it installed correctly? Like the other reader said a retrofit sys will talk from 80 to85 % of the original r12 capacity. Have the shop check your low and hi pressure readings and compare them with the ac spec’s listed for your vehicle. By checking the hi and low reading you can determine if the system is over or under charged. You NEVER want to over charge a r134a system due to the higher operating pressures.

Dan..

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

With figuring the shop did everything right.....

I would check your fan clutch. My A/C temps dropped rediculously when I installed dual electric flexalite fans that have an A/C relay. It went from a so so A/C system to probably colder than my 2001 Dodge Ram Cummins.