Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a/c question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daviddear, Aug 10, 2006.

1. daviddear

daviddear Registered Member

Hi

Just bought a 91 k5 . The air is cold but when I flick the switch all the way to high it cuts off. I think it has 4 settings low - low med - med - high . What will I need to make sure all settings work. is this a blower problem? Also vent next to drivers door is not blowing at all I assume hose has come loose . Does anyone have a diagram of a/c ductwork .

thanks

Dave

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a switch problem. Check that first.

3. mikras1

mikras1 Registered Member

If the switch is okay and only High doesn't work it is probably the relay. If a 91 is wired the same as an 86 - Low and M1/M2 go through the "Normally closed" side of the relay. When you switch to High, it turns on the relay to put 12 volts straight to the blower motor. Look under the hood near the blower motor and duct - the relay and resistors for Low/Med are usually mounted right there. With the switch on High (key on) Use a volt meter to check for power coming into the relay from the switch and out to the motor.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

4. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

I know your problem. There is a gound wire that has broken off that bolts to either the blower motor mount or the body above the blower motor. Just fixed 2 of these. Check the ground wire which is located on the right side of the egine compartment.Look behind the accumulator just above the blower motor unit 99 percent sure youll find the ground wire broken and a ground ring no wire attached. :wink1:

Might want someone to make this a sticky as Im sure there are several other ones with this same problem

5. daviddear

daviddear Registered Member

a/c

Thanks

It was the ground ! I'm slowly going to check all my wiring to see whats loose!

6. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

No Problem, Glad I could help !