Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C questions guys and gals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wraenking, Jul 15, 2003.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok. my friend works at a dealership, and he brought everything home to charge my ac. i bought a retrofit kit, and the only thing we did was put the new connections on. a few days after i decided to put in a new blower relay since i only felt thee air on high. i switched it out , (wich now blows the fuse every time i put on the ac) and then the compressor went. is this just a coincidence? or ist from not changing all the o rings and putting the new oil that came with the kit in? also, do i need a different kind of compressor after retrofitting?

thanks for the help guys.

P.S. i checked for a bad ground as to wh ythe fuse keeps on blowing out, i even changed the location to a new one, but it still blows out??

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

If you changed from r12 to r134, it is my understanding that you must completely clean out the old oil and replace the orings for the swap to work. Is this related to the electrical issue? I don't know.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The retrofit kit has all the directions in it.

You must: 1.get the r12 out, 2. pull a good vacuum and leave it on for a while to ensure all r12 is out and to boil off any moisture,etc. 3.change the fittings somewhere in the process and add a r134a sticker, and 4. recharge with the r134A leakseal/refrigerant to the proper pressures (85% of the amount of r12 that was in system).

If you r12 system was working before then it should work after. No orings need to be changed (assuming they were OK to begin with) - the oil in the kit is compatible with what was in your system before.

If you are blowing fuses now you need to locate/fix the short and then determine if your compressor is still working. But the electrical problem is not a direct/indirect result of converting to r134a.