Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C removal question *PIC*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by B_to_C, Nov 19, 2004.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

My A/c copmressor blew up and I'm not going to fix it, so all this A/c stuff is just taking up space in my engine compartment. But is any of this stuff important?

[​IMG]

I can take all of the lines marked with YELLOW off with no consequences right? And how about that thing circled in RED? And that box circled in green...isn't that the heater blower motor in there? and if it is can I just disconnect the A/C stuff at the BLUE X?

I plan on removing the A/C compressor and putting a York in its place for some on board air action sometime in the future.

Also do you think anybody would want this stuff or should i just throw it away?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Be prepared to not have heat if you remove it all. The blower motor is one the passenger side right near the fender. You can remove all that stuff from the firewall and engine bay but you are going to loose your heater setup. I have a fix for this but it is still in the trial phases. I have made a prototype heater box to delete the AC stuff and keep the heater.

FortCollinsRam has a prototype of my heater box in his possesion and should be installing it soon. I will know more when he gets it installed and when I get it installed on my truck.

Yes you can delete it all including the AC compressor and also the condensor in front of the radiator. If you AC system is charged you will want to have it discharged by a shop. If it isn't charged then just remove everything.

Harley

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The thing encircled by red is your accumulator dryer. It basically filters and dries the freeon in the system as it goes from a gas to a liquid and back again. You can remove it along with the lines without any problems. If it was me I would remove the lines, pump, condensor, and leave the blower housing alone.

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Ok so it looks like I'm leaving my heater box alone. I guess I'll just take everything out and disconnect the A/C stuff at the blue X. Also, is there any danger if my system is still charged and I start to unscrew stuff?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I imagine freon is harmful to people, and I know if it harmful to the planet. I don't know how dangerous it actually is to people but I know it is not good for you.

Harley

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is always reccomended to recover properly . However if accidentally released in a well ventilated area , it wouldn't harm you I don't think . I have been learning to to install compressors from a customer of mine ( we did my spare beer box , and Tj's spare beer box ) , and he said he has seen many people poke their old fridges by accident and no one he can think of ever got sick . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you can remove the stuff no prob yeah you *should* RECOVER IT BUT WHO REALLY CARES THERES NOT THAT MUCH IN THERE

just so you know if you BURN the feon it will convert to mustered gas witch as most knoe will kill you.

Ps im drinking excuse typos /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

8. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

if you were to accidently release the freon, just don't get any on you, it will cause frostbite

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You could remove it all, cover the holes in the firewall, remove the inside heat/ac box, then goto a junkyard and get a heat only inside box and then blower box that goes in the engine comparment (much much smaller than the AC version), and cut the holes for it. The firewall holes for AC versus non-ac trucks are very different. Oh, while your at the junkyard, get the control panel that goes into the dash, the AC one is all nasty vacuum operated, the heat only one is good ole' cables,you won't be able to hook the ac controller to a non-ac heatbox.

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can remove the stuff no prob yeah you *should* RECOVER IT BUT WHO REALLY CARES THERES NOT THAT MUCH IN THERE

just so you know if you BURN the feon it will convert to mustered gas witch as most knoe will kill you.

Ps im drinking excuse typos /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the drinking has affected the mustard gas theory too. Freon is part of the Halon family, so when you use a Halon extinguisher on a fire does that also turn into mustard gas? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status