Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A. C. retrofit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cornfed-90K5, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

I know it is kinda late in the year to be concerned about ac, but it is still in the high 90's here in CA. I am thinking about doing the 134a retrofit and was wondering if any of you had done this I would be greatful to hear how it worked out for you.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    1977 Jeep CJ5

2. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

I have done the 134a retrofit (last spring) and it works great. Check out my web page, I have a section the covers what you need to do to convert to 134a.

Casey 86K5

http://86blazer.coloradok5.com

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my 82. I've changed over from R-12 to R-134A on my wife's car and it worked out great. It really depends on the condition of the components in your vehicle (compressors, evaporators, condensors, lines, etc.). I've heard that it doesn't work that well on some of the cars without changing out major assemblies. I've also seen cars that only need the conversion kit (mine). I'd be sure to check around and get a few quotes. Where are you at in CA?

4. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

R134 leaks and runs 2 high a pressure let alone its toxicity and lube incapabilities and that R134 is not as cold as hydrocarbon or R12.

Go with hydrocarbon.
    You only need 1/3 the weight of fluid can used premix duracool or enviorsafe or roll your own with 45% isobutane and 55% propane with total weight 1/3 of the factory R12 weight.

Some people worry flamability but remember R134 has lower flashpoint then the hydrocarbon mix.
    Hydrocarbon has been extensively used in Alustralia with zero adverse incidents. The big companies in Alistralia have almost all switched to hydrocarbons forget that liver testicle toxic r134 crap.

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Contrary to the opinion of some, I too changed over to 134 this summer and although there is a slight degradation in the cooling ability of the R-134 I am completely satisfied with it's performance as well as the monitary difference in the back pocket.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I've been running R134 for two years now and like it so far. Had lots of 100 degeree days and it keeps good and cool. If you do the retrofit I recomend you change your drier. If you do it yourself, Get one of those retro kits that comes with the guage that tells you when the system is properly charged. Its easy to overcharge the system with out a guage, Running it overcharged will ruin the compressor.