Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C stopped.. Clutch? How much work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rx7gslse, Oct 16, 2006.

1. rx7gslse

rx7gslse 1/2 ton status

Alright.. on the way home friday I noticed the a/c started making a high pitched ticking/squeeking noise.. That continued on Saturday until about my 3rd stop and then the noise just stopped...

Of course, it also stopped blowing cold air at the same time. I suspect that means teh A/C clutch died.. It's an 89 350 burb, so with the serpantine belt system I know it's not a locked up compressor.

So am I right in thinking clutch?

Second.. how difficult is the job to change it out? I see that I can actually buy a new clutch and *thankfully* don't have to replace the entire compressor..

Special tools required? Links to a nice writeup? Difficult or time consuming enough that it may just be better off taking it somewhere? :confused:

I can check my Hayne's when I get home, but figured I'd ask first... Thanks!

Eric

2. rx7gslse

rx7gslse 1/2 ton status

Bueller.... Bueller....

Anyone?

I read I need to buy/borrow a special puller tool... what else?

3. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

You need to leave a small air gap between the clutch and the compressor. Don't have the spec handy, but you should be able to find it.

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You need a puller and a installer for the clutch . I bought mine from Napa . You need to leave a small gap like I think .010 ?