Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A/C SUCKS!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5blazer, Feb 28, 2001.

1. K5blazer

K5blazer Registered Member

I drive an 86 k5 and I live in Dallas, Texas. So it gets damn hot in the summer and I've got to start preparing now. My A/C blows cold air just not very much air, a friend of mine had the same problem with his k5. Anybody have any cheap fix ideas.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Well, there is the switch and the relay that you can replace and i don't think it's that expensive. Does it sound like it tries to switch to hi or does the air flow stay the same no matter what speed you have it on?

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Probably your blower moder and or your switch and relay. Also, make sure your AC compressor turns on. Flip the AC switch on in the cab and look to see if the compressor clutch engages. If not, for some reason you are completly out of freon and have a leak or someone let it all out. Check that just to make sure it is not blowing cold just because the air is cold outside.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I live in Tucson, I know what your talking about!!! Crawl up under your dash and make sure your ducts are all hooked up. My side ducts were hanging loose. Put them back on and they work awesome now

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

5. K5blazer

K5blazer Registered Member

Thanks for the information, i'll check out that relay. But I know it blows cold air, because thats the way it was last summer.

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my ducts, one was actually missing. I got some vinyl clothes dryer ducting and replaced them with it and the difference was dramatic. A/C works better, and it killed alot of the wonderful smell of the previous owner's cigarette smoke.

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Something I did last spring was rebuid the a/c except for replace compressor. I evaporated it, replace dryer, orfice tube, replace blower motor (put a junkyard gerbal cage on it from a newer chevy passenger car that had more omph to it by design), and recharge it with R34 or whatever the new kind is (it is much cheaper) and wam bam thank you ma'am, the A/C worked like a champ. The only draw back to it is it is good to have a friend that has the ability to evaporate and fill the system. I completed the project for close to 140, but I probably won't have to do crap to it for a few years, so worth it. Hope it provides some info, and if you don't know hot to work with freon and A/C system, it is good to learn, cuz shops charge an arm and a leg to do service.

Joel

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Actually you must be certified in order to do AC repair work... although this isn't always the case w/ this 134crap-refridgerant at every walmart and Kmart. I think it is funny they sell this stuff and then people yell about the enviroment. R134 is safer, but still causes problems. A lot more then the stuff coming from the tailpipe... Maybe one day they will get a clue. How is the 134? How does it cool a large rig such as a Blazer? Did you move to a 134 evaperator?

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got R134 in my K5 and the wife's Cherokee, and I've noticed an improvement over the R12.

10. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Roger on the certification, which I am not, but the friend is and has the gear system to evacuate it, and recharge it with the R134. When you change over you have to buy a R134 drye.evaporator, I got mine at Autozone for I think 69 bucks. I noticed a huge difference, and no problems keepin things cool. I am going to a soft top this summer, so we will she if she can handle that.

Joel

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General